二十一

21 - a simple, now broken promise

"Giyū!"

The said boy ran with all his might, trying to reach the little girl's hand, who extended her little hand from an upper ground.

He looked back, horror evidence on his face as he tried to run faster, faster than ever on his life.

As the chaser came closer and closer to him, he closed his eyes as he continued to run, fearing his own life. Tears gather at the corner of his eyes.

Pulling some courage, he opened his eyes a little.

Suddenly, the chaser ran pass him, accelerating towards the girl waiting for him up there.

He gasped as his eyes widened.

"Chihiro! Run!"

The little girl realized how the chaser ran pass her friend, coming after her instead. Her scared self trembled even more. "But- Giyū, I can't leave you!"

"I will catch up with you! For now, think about your life first!"

"No—!"

"Chihiro, please!"

Hearing the desperateness from his voice, the little girl grasped her hesitation, quickly standing up and run off, getting away from the unknown chaser.

Giyū, you better come back fast!

As the chaser realized that the girl it was after fled, it intended to accelerate more, before it felt something, a rock, hit his head.

Coming to a halt, it looked back slowly.

Its view met a little boy, holding a wooden stick on its hand, panting hard while he tried his best to glare.

"You—"

"Don't you dare touch Chihiro! I'm.. your opponent!"

He stormed off to the bigger opponent, swinging his wooden stick.

"How dare you let the rare blood go!"

A rare chuckle left the throat of the Water Pillar, startling Tanjirō with the voice.

"Looking back at it, I can't help but to laugh."

A rare smile came to his stiff face, whild his eyes looked to the distance.

So Chihiro-san have a rare-blood too...

Tanjirō thought to himself, remembering the event with the drum demon.

"But in the end, we barely managed to flee from that demon because the sun came out."

"Giyu!"

The little girl, couldn't bear to wait anymore, came back to him, only to found him in bloody mess. The chaser, the demon from before, gone in sight.

She used all her strength to approached him, despite her fears of the demon coming back.

"Chihiro... Why... did you come back... The demon... will come back... soon..."

She put his head on to her tiny laps, her tears overflowed from her big, round violet eyes. Her tears fell from her chin, to Giyū's cheeks.