close calls

Dead. Dead. Dead.

They were all dead.

My fault. Couldn't protect. Horrible brother. Awful son.

Jason died because I pushed him away.

Tim is dead because I am cruel.

Damian is dead because I am weak.

Cass is dead because I am selfish.

Bruce is dead because I am disobedient.

All dead. All my fault.

Dick screamed and thrashed against his hospital bed restraints so violently,  Wally's wrists were aching just from watching him. He turned away, not being able to bear watching the billionaire's son in so much agony and not being able to do anything.

Wally, Kaldur, and M'gann were stationed in Dick's hospital room while the nurses and doctors worked on flushing the toxin out of his system. Artemis and Conner were stationed right outside the door with the other Wayne children and Stephanie, all of whom refused to enter the hospital room.

Wally understood that, he didn't even want to be in here but it was his mission. And three hours later he was really, really hating this mission.

This poor kid, I can't imagine what he is going through right now.

We will have to ask Nightwing and Robin more about their city after this mission, it seems.

Speaking of those two, has anyone heard from them?

I tried to reach out to Robin about Scarecrow after Dick injected himself, but he said he couldn't talk, Nightwing was injured.

Outside in the hall, Artemis glanced over at Tim when he snorted seemingly out of nowhere. She narrowed her eyes suspiciously at the thirteen year old until he sniffled, wiping at his eyes. Shaking her head, Artemis tuned back into mind link but kept her eyes on the heir.

Is he going to be okay?

It's Nightwing, of course he is going to be okay.

Yeah, but did Robin say how he was injured?

No, just that he needed medical attention.

Must be pretty bad, I just reached out through the mind link and Nightwing is in a lot of turmoil.

Tim paled, pulling his phone out and sending a quick text in the family group chat.

Tim: SOS They are getting hotter.

Steph: Tim, your gay is showing.

Tim: Haha, no. Not like that, they might be getting close to I.D.-ing us.

Damian: Pathetic. WWBD?

Steph: OMG did Damian just use text speak??

Cass: I believe he did.

Bruce: Stop blowing up my phone, I'm in the middle of a meeting. Handle the situation accordingly, they are your teammates after all.

Tim: kk.

Steph: Bruce! We still on for brunch with Cass when you get back?

Cass: Please say yes.

Bruce: Of course.

Conner and Artemis exchanged glances as they watched the four younger teens sit on their phones and text each other, blissfully unaware of the conversation they were having. Tim was typing more furiously than the others, which got Artemis curious.

"What're you up to?" She sat down next to Tim, trying to look at his phone over his shoulder but he skillfully hid it.

"Texting Bruce. Any word on Dick?" Tim asked as he typed without looking at his phone.

"Not yet." Artemis narrowed her eyes slightly, not believing Tim. "I've been meaning to ask, why do you call Bruce his first name?"

"I already had a father, and I'm more comfortable that way." Tim shrugged. He was about to say more but was cut off by his phone ringing. "Excuse me. Hello?"

"Timothy Drake? It's Robin. I heard about what happened at Wayne Manor and wanted to apologize for not being there." Artemis and Conner heard a muffled voice on the other line, eyes widening slightly when they recognized their teammate's voice. "I'm sorry this has to be a quick call, Bats didn't want me to make it in the first place. Anyways, gotta go. Hope your brother is okay."

"Thanks, Robin. Bye."

"Bye Tim."

The line went dead and so did Artemis' suspicions from earlier.

Conner turned to Tim with shock written on his face. "Your friends with Robin?"

Tim shrugged. "Friends might be a stretch. When you get kidnapped and held ransom as often as we do, you become...acquainted with the local vigilantes." His siblings shot him knowing smirks. Steph shook her head in disbelief, shooting Tim a text.

Steph: How did you program that voice recording that quickly?

Tim: Bitch please, I'm Timothy Drake.

A doctor emerged from Dick's room at that moment. "Are you the family of Richard Grayson?"

"Yes." Tim answered, standing up and sticking his hand out. "I'm his brother, and these are the rest of his siblings."

The doctor shook Tim's hand. "Richard's system has been flushed of the toxin and he is resting now. He should be ready to go home in a few hours."

"Thank you." Tim smiled, bypassing the doctor to enter Dick's room. Dick was sitting up in bed, staring out the window with spooked eyes. "Dick? You good?"

Dick jumped slightly, looking over at his siblings with a relieved expression painted on his slightly sweating face. "Oh, peachy. I love fear toxin, it's my drug of choice." He smirked, holding his arms out for a group hug which his family gladly accepted. Even Damian, who would never admit it under all his grumbling. "I'm glad to see all you guys."

"That bad?"

"Worse." Dick shivered, pulling his family closer before releasing them. "I don't want to talk about it, but I'm glad it's over."

Tim handed Dick his phone silently, watching his brother's face as he read the conversation with bug eyes. "Doc says you can leave in a few hours. I think they want to make sure you don't have any adverse reactions or something."

Dick nodded silently, glancing up at the team who were once again talking in the mind link.

They've been on their phones a lot.

They're teens, its what they do.

I know, but it makes me wonder what they are hiding...