The Question

Lyra sat next to Neville hidden in a corner of the library. Books littered the table each one open to a different bizarre plant. Neville handed one with a grey cactus to Lyra.

"Its call Mimbulus mimbletonia and it's one of my favorites!" He said excitedly.

She took the book gingerly and smiled "I can see why it's got a pretty cool defense mechanism."

Neville blushed heavily and quickly grabbed a different book. Lyra didn't seem to notice, to excited by the new plant.

"L-Lyra could I ask you something?"

Lyra put down the book and looked up concerned. Waves of dread were rolling off of Neville as he fiddled with the book on his hands. "Of course, what's wrong?"

"N-nothings wrong, I was just. I was just wondering... If maybe, if you're not busy..."

Before Neville could finish though, Lyra felt to arms wrap around her shoulders from behind and a head perch itself on top of hers. She jumped and saw Neville turn bright red.

"H-Hi George." He said.

Lyra blushed and tried to look up, but George kept looking forward at Neville.

"Hey," he said his tone slightly off and this was when Lyra noticed that he was feeling an emotion she couldn't quite place. She unwrapped his arms and turned to look at him.

"You okay?" She asked. He turned away from Neville to look at her. A smile appeared on his face but she thought it was slightly forced.

"Yeah, I'm just great. I was just wondering if I could speak to you alone for a minute."

She looked over at Neville apologetically. "I'll be right back okay?"

He nodded but she noticed his fear had turned to utter sadness and she had to bite back tears.

George gently grabbed her arm and dragged her across the library behind some bookshelves. She furrowed her eyebrows looking at him.

"What was all that about?" She asked.

"What? Oh. Nothing. Don't worry about it." He ran his hand through his hair nervously. "Listen. I've got something to ask you and it's really important."

She raised an eyebrow. Must have been for him to be acting this weird. "What's up?"

"Do you want to go to the Yule ball with me?"

Lyra's mouth dropped open and she turned a deep red. "Oh! Um yes, yes I'd love to go with you."

George smiled "Brilliant!" He leaned over and kissed her cheek making her go almost violet. "I'll see you later then!" And with that, he left a very stunned Lyra standing by a bookshelf.

When she collected herself and thoughts she returned back to the table, but to her disappointment, Neville was packed up and gone.