Chapter 29 - Frayed

My head bounces off the window and I take a quick intake of breath as I wake up and look around me– still sitting next to Stiles, on the bus to our cross country meet.

Scott is sitting in front of us with his back against the window and his face still looks like he's slowly dying couldn't have been asleep for long then

"Morning sleepy beauty" I can hear the smile in his voice before I move my eyes to his and offer a soft chuckle "How long was I out?"

I sit up from the slouch I was sleeping in while Stiles makes a noise as he thinks that over "Not long, we're not in Beacon anymore but this road is too bumpy for this shitty bus."

Scott groans and gains our attentions as Stiles leans forward with the iPad he's holding hitting the seat with his lean "Yo, Scotty. Hey, yo, Scotty? Still with me?"

Scott opens one of his eyes and looks over the seat to us "Yeah, sorry. Uh, what's the word?"

Stiles looks quickly down to the iPad before stating "'Anachronism'."

"Something that exists out of its normal time," Scott sighs out earning a nod from Stiles "Nice. Okay, next word– 'incongruous'."

Scott furrows his brows "Um, can you use it in a sentence?"

"Yes. Yes, I can. It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross country meet after what just happened– incongruous."

I chuckle towards the window noticing the dark grey clouds directly in the distance we are heading yay running in the rain as Scott huffs and closes both eyes again "Out of place, ridiculous, absurd."

Stiles nods and pulls the iPad up closer to his face "Perfect. Okay, next word. Um, Darach– Darach, it's a noun–" he trails off before looking at me out of the corner of his eyes. I snort and shake my head before he flicks his eyes to look over the seat hesitantly.

I smirk at the face Scott makes with both eyes directed at his best friend who shrugs "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five fucking hours, so why not?"

Scott closes his eyes and leans his head back on the window earning a sigh from Stiles who looks back to the iPad and clears his throat "Christ, fine next word– 'Intransigent'."

I snort as I jab cheerily "Hmmm don't need an example for that word do we, Scotty?"

He glares as he answers the definition "Stubborn, obstinate."

Stiles chuckles as the bus rattles obnoxiously after going over what I can only assume was a dead body, earning a painful groan from Scott who leans his back forward off the window.

Stiles and I lean forward with our hands on the seat with our worry "Oh, buddy, you okay? We shouldn't have come. I knew it. We should not have come" Stiles finishes with a point of his finger in the air, however Scott chimes in just as quickly "We had to– there's safety in numbers."

"Yeah, well, there's also death in numbers, okay? It's called a massacre– or bloodbath, carnage, slaughter, butchery, wow, that's–" he argues before Scott groans again.

Stiles hands me the iPad to get up out of our seat "All right, Scott, I'm telling coach that–"

"No. No, no, no. I'm alright" Scott reaches his hand out and Stiles stops his steps in the aisle, throwing one arm over the seat towards him "Well, you don't look all right– would you just let us see it?"