rockabye •nine

...

When Ben walked down the hall, his eyes tried to find Mal, but it had landed on where his parents stood. He saw his ex-girlfriend, the mother of his daughter stand next to his parents. His eyes trailed at the little girl, his little princess. Ben gulped, every step reaching them. Finally he looks at his current girlfriend, Mal, and smiles. Mal returns it nervously.

How was he to tell her about Athena? He was sure that Mal was the one for him and he wanted her a part of his daughter's world. But how can he bring Mal in... when Ben isn't even in it?

Finally reaching Fairy Godmother, he kneels down. Fairy Godmother held her wand and smiles brightly.

"Do you solemnly swear to govern the peoples of Auradon with justice and mercy as long as you shall reign?" Fairy Godmother proclaims. Ben nods.

"I do solemnly swear." Ben says.

"Then it is my honor and my joy to bless our new king–" Suddenly the want was taken out of Fairy Godmother's hand by Jane. Jane waved the wand around to try the control it. Sparks flew out of the wand violently. Serena took Athena into her arms and held her close in case. Beast stepped up to protect his wife and pulls her close.

"Child, what are you doing?!" Fairy Godmother shouts. Slowly, Serena backed herself away from the stage with Athena. Luckily, Jane's focus wasn't on her and Serena was able to get away safely.

"If you won't make me beautiful, I'll do it myself! Bibbidi...Bobbidi...BOO!" Jane says with the wand still shaking violently.

"Take cover!" Beast yelled. Serena hid behind a pillar with Athena to avoid getting hit.

"Careful, Mal!" She heard Belle yell. Serena looked Around the pillar to see the purple haired Isle of the Lost kid with the wand in hand. Serena grabbed Athena and went to find a hiding spot for her. She found a supply closet and carefully placed Athena down.

"Stay here and don't make a sound. I'll be right back." Serena says soothingly, but she couldn't leave. Athena had her hands clutching her mom's dress and not letting go. She suddenly burst into tears.

"Mama, don't leave me!" Athena cries out.

"I promise you, I'll be back in just a moment." Serena says softly. Tears ran down Athena's face, making Serena sad and wiped them away. "Be good and listen to what I said. I'll be back when this is over and we'll go home."

Athena finally let go and dried her tears. She backed away to the back of the closet and stayed in the corner. Serena closed the door and took a deep breath before going to see what was going on. The Isle kids were gathered together and Mal had the want in her hand, pointing it at Ben.

"We have no choice, Ben! Our parents..." She heard Mal say. Serena inched her way to where Chad and Audrey were. They jump and turn to see who it was. Chad was the first in action and pulled Serena into a hug.

"Serena, are you... Where is Athena?" Chad asked in panic and looks around.

"Don't worry, she's safe." Serena says. Audrey points at Mal.

"I knew they were trouble..." Audrey hisses to Serena.

"I think I want to be good." Mal says softly.

"You are good." Ben assures her.

"How do you know that?" Mal yells, feeling stressed with her many decision.

"Because... Because I'm listening to my heart." Ben replies.

Mal took his words in and thought for a moment. "I want to listen to my heart, too." She looks to the other VKs. "And my heart is telling me that we are not our parents."

"I mean, stealing things doesn't make you happy. Tourney and victory pizza with the team makes you happy." Mal says, directing her words to Jay.

"Yeah!" Someone in the back of the crowd yells. Mal looks towards Carlos. "And you, scratching dude's belly makes you happy. Who would've thought?" Carlos nods.

Mal looks at Evie. "And Evie... You do not have to play dumb to get a guy. You are so smart." Evie smiles, her eyes growing wet with happy tears.

"And I don't want to take over the world with evil." Mal admits to everyone and to herself. "It doesn't make me happy. I want to go to school. And be with Ben. Because Ben makes me really happy." Mal says, showing off a ring. Ben's ring. Serena recognized it, after all, it use to be on her finger once.

Mal turns back to her family. "Us being friends makes me really happy. Not destroying things. I choose good, you guys." Mal put her hand in the middle. For a moment, no one joined her. Then Jay puts his hand in.

"I choose good, too." He says. Evie was next.

"I choose good." Evie says, putting her hand in. They all looked at Carlos, who had a confused look on.

"So, just to be clear, we don't have to be worried about how really mad our parents will be?" He asked. Everyone laughed. "Because they're gonna be really, really mad."

"Your parents can't reach you here." Ben promises

"Okay, then. Good." Carlos says, putting his hand with the others. Ben joined them as well. Then a sound of glass shattering made the crowd gasps. A bolt of green smoke broke through the stained glass window and flew around the hall. The smoke landed in the center and reformed into someone.

"I'm baaack!" The Mistress of All Evil exclaims.