Prologue: The Nightmare Prince

Author's Note: Hello, I have been blessed with a friend who was kind enough to offer to edit my story: crossoverLIFE19.  Now it will be called Frozen Solitude. So, expect a lot of epic changes. Enjoy!

        My feet bound across the hard floor, the air whipping through my hair as I rush about the room. Speeding through the dark walls and tunnels, I bounce off rock ledges and swing from dangling cages. A laugh bubbles out of my chest, echoing in the silent abyss. I love the enchanting ring my laugh sets off; a tune well-known within this dark cave. Another laugh joins me, though it holds a haunting note. Deep, mysterious,and guarded. The laugh sends tingles down my spine, and my lips spread to a grin. Glancing over my shoulder, I catch the blur that rushes after me. Only a flash of black within the very few candles' trails. I move faster, scaling a wall and jumping to the roof of the nearest cage. Intertwining my fingers within the gaps (winding around the metal surface to create shadows upon the concrete) I steady myself upon its head and cling to the dangling chain.

      Once more, my eyes search for the same figure that once was behind me. I shift from foot to foot, keeping steady as I slowly bring myself to stand. As my hand meets the center of the cold chain and my legs settle straight, a sudden presence lingers behind me. A brush of wind is my only warning before I'm sent over the edge with a screech, the shadow now looming over me as we fall. Another screech leaves my throat, and the familiar laugh bombards my senses. Just as the tips of my hair brush the rocks settling in the cave's floor, the shadow twirls to be underneath me and acloud of dust catches us. Only a short grunt can stop the laughs tumbling out of my mouth as I roll off of the shadowy figure. Their laugh joins me, loud and boisterous as we take a minute to relax. 

      "You're getting slow," the shadow comments, finally calming and simply gazing at the empty ceiling. 

      "And you're getting old," I tease back. 

      Pitch Black, the Nightmare King, turns to glare at me with playful spite. I smirk back, standing and dusting the black dust from my pants. My father, the one I can never imagine a life without, stands as well. We share a short round of chuckles and a strong hug before walking to the nearest food supplier. We don't visit the streets much, with all of the people wandering about. Everyone seems to love annoying and pestering anyone who trudges through the rough streets. Though, seeing the baren contents within our fridge, I know our next adventure will be sooner than likely anticipated. We share a glance before deciding to share an apple for the day. 

       Even with only two people in our large home, we're struggling to keep up with the necessities for life. Sometimes, I wish my mother and sister were here with us, but at times like these I'm sad to say I wouldn't think the same. They're both in a better place, where they don't need to fight to live everyday. They're sleeping in peace, I just need to wait to meet them. That's what Dad always says. That, one day, our family can be reunited and everything can be as it should be. It's hard to wait for that day, but I can't imagine trying to force the day upon us. Dad always says we have a life to live,that we need to hold out and have as much fun as we can. Everyday, that mantra keeps me going. 

        Don't worry. We're gonna have a little fun, instead. 

        He always finds a way to lift the mood, even if his reputation should suggest otherwise. The King of Fear, though I only know him as the man who cares. Unlike almost all the parents on the Isle, I know he loves me. He makes sure to prove it to me every day, but the best memory I have has to be the day I got my first stuffed animal. The thought makes me smile, and I can see Dad glancing at me with his own smile. 

       The day I got Scary Mary, my stuffed little toy, was only days after I lost a lot of savings to Jafar's kid, Jay. I worked a long while with a few goblins, scraping up enough money to match the same pay suggested on a magazine I once read. It was thrown out from Auradon, just like everything here. I can't read well, considering how little class I was provided. I've always been the best at skipping school and never paying attention to any lectures forced upon me. However, all I really needed was a picture and a number, which I understood just fine. So, when I gathered up a good amount of coins within a small, slightly worn pouch, I had set out for Jafar's stand. He was best known for selling the most enchanting or 'expensive' things around the Isle. Things he had his son snag off of others or found on the streets and gifted them with fancy descriptions. 

        I was one of the best victims for his store. When I approached his stall and asked for a stuffed animal, he teased me. I can still hear the scratchy laughter beating on my skull. His laugh is nothing like my dad's. His laughter is heartless, and his eyes are cold as they stared down at me. No one in Auradon throws stuffed animals out, he had teased. What would you do with it anyway - snuggle it and hold it when you cry? Pitch needs to fix ya. Little boys like you are the first to die on the street. I had gone home, tears falling as I rushed into my 'room'. I only realized my hard-earned money was missing when Dad came to check on me, asking me what I bought. The entire pouch was gone,and I eventually told him the whole truth. 

      He sent his Nightmare, Onyx, to Jafar's shop. The Mare had destroyed the shop,returning with my money and a little extra for 'interest'. While the gesture had warmed my heart, my little soul was still crushed at the thought of never getting a stuffed toy to call my own. That changed when my birthday came around and Dad revealed a little stuffed NightMare toy that looked just like Onyx. I was ecstatic and, to this day, I carry that same toy everywhere I go. 

      Shortly after that fiasco, I met my first and only friend on the Isle. Carlos De Vil, a schemer that jumped at everything. He was scared of everything, it seemed. Whether that'd be dogs, other VKs, or even his mom! I never truly understood his fear towards his mother, until I met her in person. Carlos had every right to fear her, but how it made our friendship grow I'll never quite understand. Doesn't matter, Carlos isn't around anymore. He joined the famous group of four - supposedly rotten to the core. I was replaced by people who used to bully him, after Evie befriended him. I've never forgiven him for that, but it's not like he notices. He's off in Auradon, now. Living the life with his girlfriend and pet dog, making a dream-come-true future. It makes me sick everytime I see it on TV. 

       Many VKs seem to have forgotten what the rotten four had done to the island. Those four stripped away the one chance anyone had to be free. They took their freedom, and kept it for themselves as soon as they got a taste. Just like usual, never sharing once they gathered the taste. Now, everyone's grown convinced that their freedom is held within those same hands that selfishly ripped it away! According to almost everyone in the street, Auradon is their salvation - one small group at a time! 

       Well, Auradon will never be my salvation. When I go, I'm bringing everyone home. If I'm ever forced to go, that is.

❄❄❄

Author's Note: What do you think? Please comment, vote, and share this story. Thank you! And make sure to thank crossoverLIFE19 for her amazing revision! 🤗