ii. the girl with the face of an angel

chapter two
the girl with the face of an angel

 "I'M GOING TO THE ARCADE!" Rue shoved a bunch of quarters in her pockets. She shuffled to grab her keys from the counter, then her Walkman, putting on the headphones. She then walked closer to the front door.

 "Have fun!" she heard her dad call before shutting the door and locking it.

 Rue walked to her bike, hopping on it. She trapped her lower lip between her teeth as she turned on her Walkman. The mixtape shuffled for a moment before it began to play music.

 With a quick nod of her head, she took off in the daylight. Rue wore her hair down that day, and its beautiful amber strands were flowing behind her with the wind.

 She hummed along with the song Tainted Love by Soft Cell, blasting in her ears.

 "Now, I know I've got to . . . Dun Dun, run away . . ."

 Rue kept looking straight as she rode away, nearing the main square of Hawkins, where she saw the bright orange and dark blue sign of the arcade.

 Her head bopped to the music as she got to the arcade, locking her bike on the stand. Her cheeks were rosy from the bitter fall air. "Hey, Keith," she moved one of the speakers behind her ear.

 The older teenager nodded at her before munching on a cheese puff, "Hey, Rue," he mumbled.

 Rue felt a little flutter in her heart. People actually liked her here. The girl only lived in Hawkins for about two months, and it seemed that most people knew her. It made her happy, knowing she wasn't considered an outsider or a freak in this small town.