Chapter Eighty-Three | Third World

[ 83 ]

No one bat an eyelid when both men eventually emerged. They took up their positions behind the delivery van alongside the rest of team Alpha. Other than the slight scuffle that came from their boots on the ground, there was no other noise coming from any directions. A sharp winter's breeze came in handy for masking their apprehensive movements.

Niklas approached one of the soldiers who had already whipped out some binoculars. He had them aiming right down the central-line of the bridge. Due to the amount of vehicles that made such a large feature appear compact, it was difficult to get a clear view. There was no way to say for certain that there wasn't anything hiding among them.

"No movement from the other side, bridge seems clear too." The soldier reported.

They maintained the same position, waiting for any change to occur. Only when they could definitely say for sure that their immediate area was clear, did Niklas turn to face his team. They were a mismatched group with their individual talents and flaws. He knew who to reach for if things went south, and who to shove to the front if they were being chased from behind.

Only two others, aside from Niklas himself, were actual soldiers. The amount of professionally-trained combat-based individuals who were willing to take part in missions was sorely lacking. Those who were needed for those very skills were well aware of their worth, so would most likely not take part until the big task of taking 'safe-zone B' came about. And then that would be for solidifying their position in the fledgling society.

"We're going to use this as our fall-back position. If there's a chance we're somehow split up then make your way back here. If this area has been compromised then circle round and head back towards our drop-off point. Do not under any circumstances lead one of those creatures to our only means of escape."

With that covered, their Commander reverted his attention back to what was ahead of them. There was still no change, no appearance of any Advanced Rotters roaming about. Even though the team could be considered inexperienced, they had all been present when they encountered the abnormal creatures on the day of the bridge attack. So they weren't going in completely blind.

Moving from verbal to physical gestures, the squad leader gestured with his gloved hand and they moved collectively. They maintained a position where they had their heads just above the rooftops of the cars; with bent knees prepared to drop them to the ground if they suddenly spotted anything.

As they brushed by more vehicles, appearing from the congestion of delivery vans, Niklas gestured to one of the team. In response, the trained soldier dropped to the ground and looked in all directions from underneath the cars.

With a clenched fist and a thumb pointed upwards in a gesture anyone would recognise— all's clear.

They moved quickly; not wanting to be stuck in between the cars and without a clear visual. Hopping over a barrier or two that stood in their way they dashed to one of the final cars that was just over the bridge. Assault rifles pointed in all directions, mindful of any and all blind-spots that something could suddenly emerge from, they pensively monitored for any signs of movement.

"Commander," Bjorn signalled under his breath and all attention followed the large man's eyeline. Across from them on their right-hand side was another abandoned vehicle. There was nothing remarkable about it until an arm, wearing the standard green military uniform, appeared and revealed their location.

Team Bravo had taken an alternative route across the dam by dropping down to the maintenance level of the bridge. They seemingly managed to cross without any trouble. If they came together, both teams would ultimately stand out, so they remained individual and Niklas gestured for them to head to the right hand side while Team Alpha would take the left. With no time to lose, they split once again.