32. Curtain Opens

"Her Highnesses, Empress Yi An has arrived! Noble Imperial Consort Yong has arrived!"

Everybody in the hall rose to give the proper salutation to the two highest ranking ladies of Da Xia. But the Emperor was not with them.

"Rise! Ben gong[1] has to apologize. Because of the cold weather, bi xia's health has been delicate lately. His Majesty will be with us a bit later for this winter banquet."

The Empress then sat on her phoenix throne like usual.

Once the people heard this, they soon relaxed. It was indeed uncomfortable for his Majesty to move around in this cold weather. Bi xia was not that young anymore.

That was what the gullible ones thought of. But those who knew better weren't reassured with these words.

The merriment continued but some people couldn't help but be anxious as more time passed by.

Until a eunuch who was often seen among the Emperor's entourage slipped inside the banquet hall.

He went straight to the Empress' personal eunuch and passed on a message. Then, the eunuch went over the eldest prince's side to personally relay the same message.

Tension broke among the imperial family.

The first ones to stand were the Empress, Noble Imperial Consort Yong, the eldest prince and the third prince as they hurried off to one direction.

The guests were all bewildered by this. But the highest ranking attendants in the palace soon pacified the crowd.

"Beloved guests, a matter of utmost priority occurred. Unfortunately, the winter banquet will be postponed for now. But none of you can exit the palace as of the moment."

The officials all wanted to know what happened but the eunuchs were all tight-lipped. The servants didn't know either as they only received the instructions to keep the guests inside the royal palace until further notice.

One could only put two in two together. What thing could make the royal clan be this antsy? And who among them was the only one missing up to this moment?

Something happened to the Emperor!

The guests could only let their imaginations wander.

Maybe his Majesty had a secret fatal sickness. Or a treasonous fellow was caught! What about an assassination? Anything could happen but no one would dare make a scene in these royal grounds.

Especially when the mighty imperial guards in their red armors had appeared in the banquet hall!

A heavy silence automatically descended on the large room. But every man's foreheads had a trickle of sweat. Every woman slightly whimpered, holding each other or their young ones to share warmth in the suddenly desolate place of celebration.

Who wouldn't feel dread when seeing fearsome and stern men with deadly weapons in tow?

They were here to make sure that no one would dare force their way out of the royal palace. This meant that they would stay here until that matter of utmost importance was done. Who knew when would that be?

The presence of the imperial guards became more numerous, indicating that something really serious happened.

"Mother, what's going-" A young child whispered.

"Hush!" The lady next to him immediately covered his lips.

But the irony was... a sumptuous feast was still served.

Yet the festive atmosphere of earlier was gone with the wind.

Some of the guests reluctantly ate. Their stomachs felt hungry but their tongues couldn't taste.