Chapter 39; Silver Lining

Blood coated his tongue and dripped into his eyes as Colden tore through the first Lycan. The surprise of the attack knocked the beast to the marble ground, enough for the warrior behind him to make the kill. He knew that those very first seconds could make the difference between losing and winning. They hadn't been expecting their attack and that was the only advantage his men had. 

His eyes were zeroed in on the entrance to the palace, several hundred yards away. Already Lucien's beasts were running out of every entryway, jumping out of the windows and into the battlefield. Blood pooled on the ground as if it were a basin. 

Colden barely dodged claws and nuzzles, skirting pasts outstretched arms and arrows that whizzed past him. Something nicked his right ear, searing pain following in its wake. A Lycan lunged in his way, aiming for his throat though another wolf intercepted the attack only to reach his death. A noble sacrifice and one that Colden would remember and honour when this was done.

But not now. Not when Lucien was still alive.

He let the beast take over, the pull that he felt for Alice, to his mate, the only thing that guided him into the maze of the Lycan kingdom. Maybe to his death.

* * *

"You're meant to be dead!" Lucien snarled. He was hesitant in his movements, his eyes wild as he took in her defensive crouch and her bared teeth that were sharper than knives.

"Clearly, I'm not," Alice cocked her head to the side with a grin. She knew that she had to rile him up enough for his beast to take over. Anger and fear made him deadly, but blind rage would make him careless. "You couldn't even do that right."

"How!" Lucien snapped. It wasn't a question. He eyed her with a wariness that made the beast inside of her purr.

She stepped closer and into the candlelight. His nostrils flared, the scent of his fear stronger and more potent. Alice grinned, "Hades says hi."

Lucien lunged, teeth aimed for her throat. Alice let instinct take over. Her body spun in mid-air as she landed several feet behind him, crouched down low with a hiss escaping her mouth. A blazing fire burned through her veins, the need for revenge ever present.

"What are you?" He breathed, his nostrils flaring as if he could scent out the beast inside of her. She had long since stopped asking herself that question. A demon or a wolf. It made little difference. It only mattered that it gave her enough of an advantage to end this.

"I am your death, Lucien." And this time she lashed out like a sword made specifically for his death; the shadows enveloped her body as she stepped into the in-between, flickering in and out of his eyesight as he spun around with a snarl, a look of terror and fury painted on his face. Her claws nicked his cheek as a laugh escaped her.

For every death on his hands, for every taunt and every blood spilt she would make him pay. He would not die a peaceful and quiet death. He will go down suffering, just as those that had crossed his path had done.

Alice was a whirlwind of anger and sheer force. They met claws on claws, grunting with the effort of meeting his hits with the same amount of brutality. A snarl escaped her as she aimed a low kick to his groin. It was a mistake on her part as his hand wrapped around her shin and her body flew across the room and into the glass casket. The glass sprayed around her, stabbing into her skin as a deep and booming snarl escaped her chest. The pain and blood- her blood- only fuelled her beast. There was no stopping her now.