Epilogue

HOW THE HELL ARE WE HERE? I don't know how to feel, I'll be honest. *Sighs because of nerves.* The finale, everyone. Or is it? *wink x 100*

* * *

Peace had once been a strange concept to Alice. It was the depths of the oceans where hidden creatures lived. It was the stars and moons and thousands of galaxies. Or even the trees, birds or flowers... they were complex things. Strange in their making. And for her, peace had been among those complexities. All of her life there had been something that was missing; her mother, her father, a family, a home, sanity, happiness... Yet for the first time, Alice felt as if she was there in their quiet nest of joy and laughter, of love and hope, of peace. 

Of course, a lot of her time was spent dealing with the lycans and wolves who were opposed to the idea of their unity, and of Alice becoming their Queen. Protests spread throughout America, particularly through the packs who were opposed to the royals, to begin with. She had travelled through each state pack, making contracts and promises of a better tomorrow. There were some who couldn't be persuaded, but the large majority were too afraid of what she was to argue back. 

Since Colden's death and return, their relationship had been...fragile. The threat was gone and over and yet, there was a sword hanging between them, looming over their heads with questions that no one dared to ask.

Colden's back was turned to her and it infuriated her to no end. The white shirt clung to his back, sealing the layers of scars from the bare eye. His hands clenched and unclenched into fists and she could see the pulsing of his jaw. Frustration and against brushed off him in long strokes, teasing the connection that had formed between them. Their bond was like an invisible cord that had wrapped around Alice's very soul and intertwined her to Colden. Her mate, her other half, her equal. She had sensed the brewing storm in him for weeks. 

At first, Alice had thought that it was the future of his pack that bothered him. After all, a pack needed an Alpha who was present both mentally and emotionally. But with her being crowned Queen and Colden being her mate, that made him her consort. She had contemplated giving up the title. In fact, it seemed like a perfect excuse to do so. The idea was quickly quenched by the council after they revealed that it would not be physically possible. The power was passed down through blood and blood only. To rid herself of her title as Queen, Alice would either need to die or bring an heir to the world, none of which she was keen to do quite yet.

She braced her hand against his shoulder blade, his body stilling underneath her touch. He relaxed within seconds, though the tension didn't leave his face. "Pumpkin," he murmured.

"You know, Tom had told me that when you were a little boy you pretended to be a Prince that rode on a wooden white horse," Alice's eyes scanned the side of his face. She sought out a flicker of emotion, an ounce of amusement that would let her know that he was there. Maybe it was the fact that he had died and come back, or maybe...

The corners of his mouth twitched up into a tentative smile. "Did he now?" He turned to face her, his eyes still heavy but at least he was smiling. "And did he mention the fact that he always wanted to play the princess?"

A grin spread across her face. "That he did not tell me."

The smile eased of his face his features once more hardened. He stepped closer to her, her chest brushing against the muscles of his stomach. His raven hair draped over his forehead, falling into his silver eyes.