54

chapter fifty four
florence thompson
song: wildflowers - miley cyrus (tom petty cover)

When we'd arrived to our destination, I was a little shocked but also it all seemed to click into place. After driving down a winding dirt road lined with thick pine trees and forrest that seemed quite familiar and like it went on forever, we finally arrived to a large log cabin on the lake. I nearly laughed when it came into view, but also nearly choked on air.

One of those I actually did, I'll let you guess which.

I coughed violently, my eyes going wide and immediately gaining the attention of Vincent next to me.

He parked his red convertable near the front of the house, quickly turning to me and unbuckling himself before gripping my arm.

"Are you okay?" He asked, brows furrowed, eyes slightly panicked as I tried to catch my breath.

I waved him away, leaning back as I finally got my choking to a minimum and I was only left with the slight coughing aftermath.

"Why are we at Brandon's lakehouse?" I asked incredulously as he climbed out of the car, apparently deciding he had no reason to stay put now that I wasn't coughing to death.

I followed suit, shutting my door all while still looking between the two story cabin and Vincent himself.

"Brandon's lakehouse?" He parroted, brows drawn together as he looked at me like I had five heads. He was clearly confused but the joke is on him, because so am I.

"Yes, isn't this Brandon's lakehouse?"

"No," he chuckled, shaking his head. "I've let him borrow it and come here every once in awhile, why?" He asked, grabbing both of our bags out of the back and slinging them over his shoulder before heading for the door and leaving me standing with my mouth open like a freaking idiot.

"Because...Because I've been here, I've been here with Brandon," I tried to word it correctly all while trying to figure out this whole thing which Vincent seemed like he couldn't care less about.

I hurried up, quickly making my way over to him as he unlocked the door and threw it open, sauntering in and leaving me to close it behind myself.

"You? Brandon? What?" He asked, shaking his head before tossing our bags onto the couch and turning to face me, an undefinable expression washed over his handsome features.

"No, no, not like that," I groaned, rolling my eyes. "Aria invited me here on a weekend getaway with Brandon one time, a few months back. Not to mention that she tried to set me up with a sugar daddy, but that's beside the point," I muttered the last sentence more to myself, rolling my eyes at the memory.

His eyes widened momentarily and it was then that I realized something.

"That was the night I met you on Sugar," I spoke, completely dumbstruck for some reason.

Maybe Rico and his fate thing weren't so off...

Vincent's eyes widened further, before he shook his head, letting out a low whistle. "That's some weird shit," he commented, moving towards the glass sliding doors in the kitchen and sliding them open before walking out onto the porch that led to the dock. "I think we're going to get a thunderstorm soon," he noted, walking back to me and opening his duffelbag. "I'm going swimming, wanna join?" He asked, looking up at me through his lashes.

I was a little baffled that he had brushed off the news I'd given him so easily, but I suppose it wasn't all that weird in the end.

I did know that he knew Brandon, so I guess it could be weirder.