Chapter 1: The Deal

I'm going to start editing the chapters of this book soon, i promise. for now, though, this book is full of a lot of mistakes that i apologize for :)

---------

I hate school.

I really, really, really hate school.

Don't get me wrong, I love learning, and the power knowledge grants you is great, but I just hate it in a school environment.

Standardized tests do nothing to prove how much a student has learned and the entire construct of school itself is pointless. Don't even get me started on the idiots—I mean, my fellow peers that join me throughout the school day.

Everybody that knows me, which isn't a lot of people, is aware of my extreme hatred. Which is why one of my best friends, Graciella, is bouncing on my bed, attempting to wake me up.

"Gracie," I groan. "Leave me alone."

"Nope," she chirps, popping the 'p'. "Can't. It's the first day of school. I'm so excited. Aren't you excited? First day of our senior year. It's gonna be awesome and–"

"Shut up," I groan, hitting her with one of my pillows. "Go away. I don't wanna go to school."

I can literally feel her pout.

I feel Gracie get off my bed and hear her walk out of the room, and I sigh happily, snuggling my face into my pillow. I'm just starting to drift off to sleep when cold water and pieces of ice hit my face.

The cold water instantly wakes me up, and I jump out of bed, staring at Gracie, who is standing in front of me with an empty cup in her hand.

"Did you just...pour a cup of ice water...on my face?" She poured an entire glass of water on me. Who does that?

She nods, smiling smugly.

I can feel the cold water running down my shirt, and when it hits my stomach, I let out a screech.

A fucking screech.

Gracie giggles. "Oh my God, you should've heard yourself, you sounded like a banshee." She erupts into another round of giggles.

My wet hair is dripping onto my wood floor and I step into my bathroom to grab a towel.

As I'm drying my hair, and doing my best to dry my wet shirt, I glance at my alarm clock and do a double take before screeching again.

"Why the fuck are you in my house at five in the goddamn morning?" I yell loud enough for the neighbors to hear.

"Two dollars," my mother yells from her room, which is across from mine.

My mom has a thing against cursing, so any time my dad or I say one, we have to put a dollar in the 'swear jar'.

It's ridiculous and consumes all my money.

It's been going on ever since I was around fourteen, so you think I would virtually never curse, but you would be surprised. I lose at least twenty bucks a day to that stupid jar.

I shoot a glare at Gracie before moving to my swear stash, which I fill with money and loose change entirely for this purpose, and retrieve two dollars.

"Why are you in my house?" I ask Gracie as I leave my room and walk towards my parents' door with the money in hand.

"Because, silly," she says cheerfully, not affected in the slightest by my words or stare. "It's the first day of school and everyone knows that you have to be up for school super-duper early on the first day, I mean..."