XI

The earth cracked anarchically beneath us, echoing out the sound of ripping core and radiating a mass of blood-freezing darkness. Debris began floating, magnetizing together in deathly rings, swirling about slowly in a menacing taunt. We all watched from the cockpit as the end of the world played out.

"What the hell is that?"

Massive shards of metal gleamed in the little sunlight passing through the clouds.

"It's Erik," Raven answered. She turned to the group of us, "You guys help Nightcrawler get into the pyramid. Get Charles. I'll take care of Erik."

Hank nervously glanced between the destruction and to Raven. He asked her, almost protectively, "How are you going to get through that?"

I nudged Peter in his side and he looked down to me. I gave him a reassuring smile.

"I can get you in there. I came here for him. Let me help you," Peter said. I brushed my hand to his and encased it in mine, squeezing it in support.

Raven nodded, "The rest of you, get Charles on this plane and get him out of here." I kissed Peter on the cheek before he released my hand, joining Mystique at her side.

"We're not leaving without you!" Kurt declared, eyes widened with fear.

"Don't worry," Peter remarked, pulling his goggles down to shield his eyes. He flashed me a wink, "We'll catch up."

"Hank and Firefly, you go with the kids. Moira will be waiting on the plane."

I grinned and lightly punched Hank on the shoulder, "Dream Team. Reunited."

He returned my smile, "Hell yeah it is."

"Wait." We all shifted our heads back to Scott, "Not all of us can fully control our powers."

Raven paused, then told him in a break of silence, "Then, don't. You need to embrace them." Her human form shifts away in a tidal wave into blue patterned scales, an azure color as deep as the ocean.  "We all do."

"Quicksilver," I said, suddenly. Peter turned back to me with a confused look. I suddenly pull him by the collar and smash my lips into his, my skin turning gold and illuminating like the sun at high noon. I feel his love coarse throughout my veins and for once I feel absolutely invincible. I told him as he stumbled backwards, still dazed from the rush of endorphins, "Thanks for the power-up."

He slipped into his amazing, goofy grin that takes up his whole face as he stuttered his reply,"Any...Anytime."

Peter glanced back over his shoulder a final time before we part ways. I held our energy deep down inside of my core, stocking it there for the darkness we were about to face. It warmed my chest, vibrating out to my cheeks as my blood glowed hot with energy. I savored the image of him in front of me.

And then we walked out into the center of the apocalypse.

* * *

She stared at us with an aggressive glare as she snaps her wrist, beckoning a pink, shining whip at her side. I let the air flow in and out of my lungs once, concentrating my glowing energy into the palms of my hands. Hank shifts into a battle-ready pose.

"I'll take left," I stated.

"And I got right."

We diverged into our respective sides of Psylocke. I streamed a blast of energy from my palm, quickly followed by a solid hit from Hank. She wiped her mouth, digging back on her heels and charging straight toward me.

My eyes widened, "Oh god."

She slammed into my like a freight train, bringing me to the ground. Pain expanded over my ribcage. I heard an angry growl and suddenly she was up the in the air, dangling from Hank's clutch before being thrown into a decrepit pile of bricks. She rose back to her feet.

A million times more pissed.

Psylocke suddenly cracked her whip at Hank, smacking the side of his face. It found it's way around his neck as she dragged him across the dirt, his legs scrambling as he struggled for breath. I immediately channeled an enormous, swirling ball of energy from my abdomen and sent the explosion straight at her. She went flying backward as Hank flipped out of her grasp.

The blue of his fur darkened as he heatedly lifted her by the throat and threw her off into the sky. A distant bang rang out as her body violently hit the top of a nearby building.

Hank paused, "Too much?"

"Good enough for me," I remarked. Scott and Jean came dashing around a corner. I saw Kurt, Charles heaved onto his shoulder, following close behind. "Okay, great. Let's make a run for it."

"Let's go!" Hank shouted, guiding us around the rubble all the way into the jet.

The engine loudly droned as we swayed, lifting up off the ground. A prominent thud shot against the metal exterior.

"What was that?"

Pink rays began cutting through the ceiling, burning away at the barrier. Jean's head whipped around to Kurt, "Everyone grab hold of Nightcrawler!"

"I've never done it with this many people!" He warned. We ignored him and grabbed hold anyway, out of options.

The plane began to nosedive straight down into the earth.

"Get us out of here Kurt!" Jean yelled, the fear shutting all of our eyes for us.

The piles of rubble scattered across the ground became more and more detailed. We headed closer. Closer. Practically feet away from a horrific crash. My mind reeled with an intoxicating fear, swallowing my body whole.

I only thought of one thing. I only thought about Peter's hair, illuminated silver in the ribbons of moonlight. I shut my eyelids as tight as they would close.

And I braced myself for death.

Q&A: Meet the Author
If you haven't seen this yet, just a quick Q&A session to introduce myself. Thank you for all your support. Enjoy me being a dork.