Chapter Three

"Are you okay?" Gabe asked as we sat down, a seat in front of my brother... where Zane was bound to sit too.

"Yeah, nervous,"

"Did you eat?" Carver asked and I nodded my head. At least, I tried to eat. I ate half my sandwich before I gave up and decided I'd pop a couple Gatorade chewies before I went on the field.

"Hey, can I sit by him today? I need help with this assignment, please Bentley?" Zane asked and I shrugged, watching Gabe slide out of the seat and plop down besides Carver.

"I can get his help then,” Gabe shrugged and I sighed. I forgot that Gabe and Zane were in the same class.

Coach took role and then the bus was moving. "I know you're going to think it's easy, but I just suck at math.” Zane laughed and I smiled back. I hate how he can make me so happy, when I was just extremely annoyed at the world. Stupid hormones.

So, Zane and I worked on his homework and mine on the bus ride there. I finished mine and Zane was close. I told him we could finish it during the JV game. They always play first, which gives us almost an extra hour and a half before we play.

I sat down on the bleachers across the field by the rest of the Varsity boys. Zane and I set to work on his homework again, which seemed to take all the game.

I felt bad that he didn't understand math... but he was good at everything else! It kind of blew my mind that he sucked so badly.

When we got on the field, my nerves were sky rocketing. I took a chewy and offered one to Carver, Gabe and Zane, and then I pulled on my goalie gloves.

We were all in our bright red warm—up shirts. The defense and I were doing a drill against the offense and only Steven let in Mack, once.

He didn't get the goal, I stopped it anyways. "Okay, good! Let's all line up and take some shots.” I sighed, usually Zane and Carver liked to be assholes and shoot at me at the same time.

I stopped every shot except two. One was by Gabe, who was the best scorer on our team, and the other was by Ben, the second best scorer on our team. I was pretty proud.

I watched as Zane and Carver both laid into it. Sending two balls flying at me.

I caught Zane’s and kicked Carver’s. "Haha!” I yelled and the boys pouted after I threw them the soccer balls back.

"Line up!” Coach shouted and everyone scurried to the middle of the field. Greendale had on their white jerseys, outlined with green and we had on our black jerseys, outlined with red.

They did the National Anthem, and then they called off starters for both teams. We walked to our bench and Coach gave us a quick pump up speech before we yelled Panthers and took the field.

"You got this bro,” Carver said as he clapped my back, running to the far right side of n the field. Ben took center. Gabe took left. Mack, Riley, and Jeff took midfielders. Steven and Drew were my left and right defense. Sal took striker.

Zane was sweeper.

I sighed and got in the goal, staring at the line up. "Keeper!" Greendale raised his hand. "Keeper!" Zane glanced back at me, a cocky smile on his lips. I laughed and raised my hand.

I crouched down, waiting for the whistle.

My eyes darted around the field, watching the ball the whole time. I was tense, just waiting for our defense to wear thin. Thank god this isn't professional where someone talks about how patient our defense has to be blah, blah, blah, I'd die if there was a commentator.