36. Who's Laughable?

The imperial city was a mess.

This was what Xia Lian Bei thought of as he was atop the palace walls.

The third prince Xia Yu Sheng's private army of ten thousand soldiers broke the city gates and came barging in.

But the ninth prince Xia Yu Heng's forces numbering also up to ten thousand were already inside the capital and were only disguised as common citizens.

These two groups clashed against each other on the streets of the imperial city, causing unrest to the common people.

Calling each other traitors but weren't they both traitors? Even Feng prince found this quite funny.

But both couldn't enter the palace gates as Xia Lian Bei ordered for it to be hoisted up.

No person could cross the moat dividing the city and the royal grounds.

What was worse, there were defectors among the ranks of the city guards who sided either with the third prince or the ninth prince.

Xia Lian Bei's nephews were really troublesome.

"Highness, at this rate, the city might be ravaged. What are your orders?"

The loyal vice-commander of the imperial guards asked in trepidation.

Xia Lian Bei gave a brilliant smile.

"Vice Commander, aren't you glad? Knowing those scary masked people hidden inside the palace, your turncoat commander is probably dead. Should ben wang call you Commander now?"

The vice commander didn't know whether to laugh or cry at this statement. At this point in time, should he even consider the promotion?

But Xia Lian Bei returned his gaze at the chaos below.

"Ben wang sees these soldiers are not for show. While the other group has people of the jianghu among their men. Aren't this prince's nephews great? Having such great allies, one won't be burdened too much."

The vice-commander thought that Feng wang shu's sense of humor had really bad timing.

But Prince Feng let him be as he shouted using his inner force[1].

"Brave warriors, listen to me! Even if you don't die fighting, you'll still die by your master's hand after all of this. Do you think they need to keep the stain to their names? So why not surrender now and let this prince offer you salvation?"

His voice echoed to those fighting nearest the palace gates. And they all turned to see that it was the pale-haired imperial uncle who was talking.

They were baffled for a few moments. Wasn't their master who was either the third prince or the ninth prince supposed to be the one showing up?

Why did this cursed demon appear? When did it get to be his turn?

Xia Lian Bei looked on as his words got ignored.

"Pft! Really, no one bothers to believe this prince. If they die, their souls can't blame me ah!"

That was when the heavy marching was heard from the back of the royal palace.

Behind the rear court of the palace was a mountain and from it emerged wave after wave of gallant soldiers. The coat of arms, a sun with eight emerging snakes, fluttered in the wind.

Xia Lian Bei's smile brightened. His nephews probably had forgetful minds.

Even if he surrendered his Huoyang army to the Emperor, did they think that he'd just sit back and watch as they got over their heads and fight frantically for the throne?