Chapter 13

<<<Alexandra Black>>>

I awoke with a pounding head and immediately felt the pain from every injury on my body. At first, I didn't recognize my surroundings. Somehow, I was curled up as a fox in a Hogwarts office chair. Soon, my sleepiness cleared as I saw Remus rummaging around his desk, tossing things in a large trunk.

"Remus, you're okay!" I gasped as I shifted out of my Animagus. 

Remus stopped clearing his desk and turned to me with a weak smile. Fresh, bloody scratches covered his face and arms. I hadn't seen him with that many injuries after a transformation since second year! I placed a tender hand on his cheek, examining a deep gouge. 

"Oh Rem," I softly whispered. "How could I let this happen?"

"You did everything you could to stop me from harming anyone else," Remus assured. "I am very thankful you were there to keep me in check... even if I have to deal with these nasty fox bites on my ankles." Remus lifted the leg of his pants to show me dozens of red pricks from my nipping at his heels. "Besides, these larger bites and scratches on my arms and face look as if they came from Padfoot..."

My heart fluttered in my chest as I remembered the only good information from the previous night. Sirius was innocent!

"Where is he now?" I blurted. "Did we turn Peter in to the Dementors? Is he clearing his name at the Ministry as we speak?"

"Lexi," Remus whispered slowly, "Peter escaped."

My mood deflated.

"After you chased me into the forest, Sirius and Harry were attacked by Dementors. Peter was already long gone."

"Did they... Did the Dementors deliver a Kiss?" I said softly.

"No, Harry Potter successfully managed to produce a corporeal Patronus and saved themselves. But the effort of the magic caused him to collapse. Sirius was turned in to the Ministry by none other than Severus Snape. Sirius would be taken back to Azkaban by morning, where they undoubtedly would have delivered a Kiss."

"Would have? You're saying

"Harry fought them off? He was able to cast a Patronus? What form did it take?"

"A stag."

A smile played on my lips. Remus knew why I was so proud. It was almost as if James were sending us a sign. Remus bowed his head and kept clearing his desk, a frown replacing his brief grin.

"Why are you still so upset, Remus?" I asked, noticing Remus' continually gloomy mood. "Harry and his friends are safe! We survived your transformation! Sirius is innocent and free, and we need to start planning how we will clear his name immediately! We have to think of ways to track and find Peter!"

"I resigned today, Lexi. I will not be the defense against dark arts professor next year."

Remus levitated a photo of Cassie and Regulus into his trunk. My heart started to crumble. I started to notice how empty the office started to look without his possessions.

"Resigned?" I repeated. "You love this job! You're spectacular at it!"

"Be that as it may, Snape seems to have revealed the secret of my lycanthropy to the school. I suppose during his tantrum when realizing Sirius escaped that he let the secret slip to punish me. The rumor spread like wildfire, as you can imagine. I figured it was only a matter of time before Dumbledore received a slew of owls from concerned parents demanding my termination."

"Oh Remus..."

I pulled Remus into a hug. I knew it may be near impossible for him to find another stable job. I started to offer suggestions, like fighting for werewolf benefits at the Ministry, but Remus just shook his head.