Chapter VI - Your Light is Too Dim

All the girls in this classroom seem to be vying for their attention with the hair flipping, and the not so subtle glances. Every single one of them, even Hailey. Her eyes constantly find their way to the back of the room.

The fact that Ruen and Finley are ignoring everybody as if they don't exist seems to be adding fuel to the fire. It becomes a challenge now to gain just a brief glance from them. The only person they're paying attention to is Luella and she's lapping it up, basking in their attention, so proud of herself.

The sound of her voice and her giggles are grating on my nerves. Never in all the years that I know her that I dislike her so much.

The fact that it's so hard for me to ignore them is making me even more furious. I'm just like all the other pathetic girls in here. My eyes are constantly drawn to them, especially Ruen.

He's sitting back in his chair with his long feet spread apart under the table. His hair is sexily tousled and long enough that the end of his black silky curls is touching the collar of his white shirt. His navy blue blazer is unbuttoned. Even in the stuffy school uniform, he managed to look like a cross between an arrogant, elegant socialite and a reckless bad boy.

One of his knees is touching Luella's and he's whispering something into her ear that causes her to giggle.

She's leaning close to him while her right hand is holding Finley's who doesn't seem like he's paying attention to anything or anyone around him. His handsome face is aloof and as icy cold as his ash pale blond hair. It is swept back but a few locks fall in front of his vivid green eyes which are now trained outside the window where the crows are cawing loudly.

As if he could feel my eyes on him, Finley turns his head from the window to study me impassionately. I quickly avert my gaze only to be struck by Ruen's electric blue stare already locked on me. Luella shoots me a deadly glare and entwines her fingers through Ruen's and tightens her grip on Finley's hand.

My own hands are prickling, stung with the current I try to control and keep hidden.

"Hey, take a picture of us," she says to me with a smirk. "You won't strain your neck and it'll last longer."

I turn back around to face the front and Hailey lets a hiss of breath through her teeth in annoyance. "Just how did you survive living with her for so long without killing her?"

I shrug my shoulders while trying to block the sound of Luella's laughter.

The class quiets down when our teacher, Mr. Boyd enters the room.

As I try hard to pay attention to Mr. Boyd's monotonous voice, I decided that I don't like them - Ruen and Finley. I'm furious when I see them with Luella and when I'm furious, I get hurt. So, I don't like them.

I feel their gaze burning holes on my back. Do I hate them? I don't know. It doesn't make sense but I feel betrayed. I'm so angry with them, angrier than I've ever been with anybody in my life so far so, I must have disliked them. Very much.

My feelings are usually very controlled, ranging from like to dislike. Very rarely that I experienced strong feelings but in the last two months, I've experienced fear, yearning, and pain. In the space of two days, I'm feeling all sort of intense feelings I've never felt before like guilt and fury and now, maybe hate. No, strong dislike. A very strong dislike.

Mr. Boyd drones on and I keep feeling their eyes on me. I want to take notes but my fingers are still tingling. Eventually, my exhaustion takes over so I rest my head on the table. My hands, I keep hidden my lap, under the table.

"Miss Crawford, is this class too boring for you?" Mr. Boyd is looking at me from over his gold wire-rimmed glasses. Mr. Boyd is very strict and stern and Hailey calls him Mr. Boyd the Robot - behind his back.