14 ; the third-floor corridor ✔︎

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 1 : CHAPTER 14

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

The exams were a breeze – for Y/N, at least. Sure, the large classroom was sweltering hot – to the point where Y/N was sweating – but she marked through her written exams like they were in-class quizzes.

The practical exams were easy for Y/N too. Professor Flitwick called them one by one into his class to see if they could make a pineapple tap-dance across a desk – Y/N made it perform an intricate and interesting sort-of tap-dance that impressed the Charms teacher. Professor McGonagall watched them turn a mouse into a snuffbox – Y/N's was a pretty periwinkle blue with rosy-gold edges. Professor Snape assigned a Forgetfulness potion that Y/N knew like the back of her hand.

The very last exam was History of Magic. After years of building up her memory system, Y/N's work paid off as she flew through the test, like she would fly on a broom. She'd gone through her test when she finished, and once she had done that, Y/N took a nap – you heard it, Y/N Granger, the girl who hasn't had a full night's sleep since she was eight, took a nap. It was a very enjoyable one, though, she dreamt that she was Quidditch Captain, Slytherin's Prefect, and Top-of-Year with her sister, and had a boyfriend and close friends to support her. It was when the ghost of Professor Binns had told them to put down their quills and roll up their parchment that Y/N had awoken, groggy and in need of sun. She joined Harry, Ron, and Hermione, who were flocking out onto the sunny grounds. Theodore, Blaise, and Daphne decided to go down to the kitchens for a snack.

"That was far easier than I thought it would be," said Hermione, who was revelling in the rare sun. "I needn't have learned about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager."

Hermione always liked to summarize their exam papers afterward, but Ron said this made him feel ill so they wandered down to the lake and flopped under a tree. The Weasley twins and Jordan were tickling the tentacles of a giant squid, which was basking in the warm shallows.

"No more studying," Ron sighed happily, stretching out on the grass with Y/N. "You could look more cheerful, Harry, we've got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet."

Y/N noticed Harry rubbing his forehead.

"I wish I knew what this means!" he burst out angrily and flopped on the grass next to Y/N. "My scar keeps hurting – it's happened before, but never as often as this."

"Go to Madam Pomfrey," said Y/N, lazily running her perfectly manicured fingers through his unruly black hair.

"I'm not ill," said Harry. "I think it's a warning. . . it means danger's coming. . . ."

Ron couldn't get worked up, it was too hot.

"Harry, relax, Hermione's right, the Stone's safe as long as Dumbledore's around. Anyway, we've never had any proof Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg ripped off once, he's not going to try it again in a hurry. And Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down."