Chapter 13: Visitor

THE NEXT MORNING, I immediately went to the infirmary. Changing bandages, applying ointments, feeding those who can't do it by themselves. Thankfully, there are handmaidens to help me do the work.

I didn't see Exene or the twins or even Davis Black the whole morning. It was almost noon when I got out of the infirmary to get some ointments when I saw Davis Black just outside. His back was on the wall just opposite the infirmary's door. He stood straight when he saw me.

"Where have you been?" Bungad ko sa kanya.

"How are the patients?"

He eyed the closed door but I kept my gaze on him. He was wearing some garments I haven't seen him wear before. Like the clothes I see on royal ceremonies but his is more like for a commander. What's going on?

"Ayos ka lang ba?" I went to touch his arm ngunit hindi ko itinuloy.

"I'm fine." He said coldly at agad naglakad palayo. All I could do is watch his back until he disappeared.

I sighed and went to get the ointment when I heard some marching sounds outside. Agad akong nagtungo sa bintana only to find out hundreds of armed and uniformed men aligned in the vast yard. Are these the royal guards Exene was talking about? They sure look like what royal guards should. I remembered what Davis Black was wearing.

I scanned the yard again and saw Exene, the twins, and Davis Black facing the lines of men. They all look glorious in their clothes.

Seeing them, seeing the royal guards, it reminds me of how powerful they are. Somehow, I feel assured. There won't be any village attacks again. Hopefully.

I ran back to the infirmary immediately. The patients are doing well. Another two days rest and they'll be fine. I don't know about the state of their village, though. Kung sinira ba pati tahanan nila o pangkabuhayan, I have no idea. But I know Exene is working on it. He's the Duke, after all. That's his job.

Nang matapos kong palitan ang mga benda nila, agad akong nagpunta sa kusina. Apparently, the housemaids are not enough to take care of the patients. Kaya napagpasyahan kong tumulong nalang din. Naabutan ko silang nagluluto.

I sliced the vegetables, put them in the boiling pot, stirred the soup and kindle the fire. It was easy knowing that I've been doing this kind of job before. The housemaids were reluctant to give me the job. For some reason, they can't even look me in the eye. Whether they know what's going on between me and Exene, hindi ko alam. But I had a strong feeling they already knew.

I volunteered to get the soup to the infirmary when a handmaiden came saying my presence is requested by the Duke.

Napatingin ako sa orasan. It's about time to change his bandages. Dala dala ang mga ointment at tela, I marched to the his office.

* * *

I entered his office not fully aware of what awaits me there. It wasn't the worst kind. In fact, hindi ko alam kung anong iisipin. The moment I entered the office and saw a woman holding Exene's hands, I turned to get out of there immediately but Exene called my name.

The woman wasn't holding his hand anymore. I jerked my thumb outside. "I...can come back later—"

I was cut off by his stern voice as he said,

"No."

Fine.

I looked at the woman. She's gorgeous and very ... shiny. Jewelries can be seen from her head to the tips of her dress. And with all the previous knowledge I had about royalties and the facts I learned few days past, I concluded this is a Princess. The Princess that is to marry Exene. The reason why Exene and I need to pretend.