Chapter 24 - Custody

You waited five days, but no one came for you.

Part of you wanted Hoseok to come... but you weren't sure why he would. He wouldn't forgive you. His years of planning to take over the emperor were now wasted because of your slip of the tongue. You had only done it to secure your brother's rescue. In the end, however, you didn't have your brother or the chance to bring down the emperor.

You came in with a goal and accomplished nothing.

But, in some way, Yoongi was right. Hoseok was losing himself. If you hadn't said anything, maybe he would be lost completely. Maybe he already was. Losing Taehyung brought out a lot of pain and anger in him that you'd never seen before. You always trusted Hoseok, whether you liked it or not. But now... you didn't know if you could. He had become unstable. The flirtatious, carefree Hoseok had been replaced with a vengeful master.

Would the old Hoseok ever return?

Your hosts at the safehouse were pleasant, at least. They taught you a few basic things to help them around the inn. Daeun had made it a mission to teach you to cook, and in three days she taught you better than your own mother had. There was a slight ache every time you stepped into the kitchen, realizing that you never had enough time to learn much of anything from your mother. Her and Jungkook were always in the fields or in the city working, leaving you to figure out everything for yourself.

Except for all the things that Namjoon taught you.

You remembered the face he used to make whenever he ate your cooking, puckering slightly at the bitter flavor, but smiling as if you were the best cook in the world. That was his way... knowing how insecure you were about homemaking. It wasn't until years later that you realized he was doing that to encourage you.

That was when you fell in love with him.

You never told him. You didn't know how, and you weren't sure why it would matter to him. You tried to leave hints, waiting for him to speak his own mind.

He never said anything.

The one thing he was dishonest about, however, was your fighting skills. He didn't pretend that you were great when you weren't, and he pushed you harder and harder every day. When you thought about it, you never asked where he had learned to fight, but he was one of the most naturally talented fighters you had seen in your life.

Even now, the only person you could think of that fought on the same level as Namjoon was Hoseok.

Because, Sweetheart... Kim Namjoon is still madly in love with you.

What makes you think that?

He fought for your honor... The man who was supposed to kill you for your rebellion. He hasn't forgotten the past... same as you.

Did Namjoon really love you? Or was Hoseok playing with your mind for his own purposes?

No, it didn't matter. Whether or not Namjoon loved you, it didn't make a difference.

He was the enemy.

You continued to cook, and you helped clean the inn by sweeping and washing blankets. Hyunwoo and Daeun even mentioned in passing that you would make a great addition to the inn, but when night settled and you were alone, you couldn't imagine it. A regular job with a regular purpose seemed so... empty.

There was something in you that wanted more. No matter how reckless it was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the sixth night, you couldn't stay in the walls of your room any longer. Yoongi hadn't sent any word, and Hoseok hadn't come for you. You were anxious to know what Yoongi had decided. You wanted to know if Hoseok was getting better or worse. And most importantly, your brother was still in shackles, ready for the execution block.