Chapter Nineteen - You Should've Hugged Me

Chapter Ninteen - You Should've Hugged Me

It'd been a week since the cross country and the others had left for the camp. I could finally breathe easy again. Being around Ace and Carla would be weirdly like third wheeling, although I hadn't worked up the guts to ask anyone about what was going on.

"I feel like sport is a waste of a subject," Jenny complained.

"Who doesn't?" I agreed. "You and Hunter are hauling the equipment down right? I'll just get ahead before you know, Lawiener decides to make me help," I grinned.

I hurried off ahead, staying close to the group just in front so I didn't look like a loner. Occasionally, I glanced back at Jenny and Hunter who carried the poles. As usual, Hunter was non-stop talking while Jenny nodded, occasionally replied or laughed.

They noticed me watching and waved. I turned around again and caught up to the others who'd assembled on the oval. "Okay Hunter, you can stop volunteering and get back to your class," Lawiener said to Hunter. Hunter grinned and dropped the poles on the ground before walking down to his class.

"Today, as promised a few months ago, we'll be joining up with the boys' class!" He announced enthusiastically, clasping his hands together.

A groan came up from the class. No one was particularly interested in football, and it was that much worse to be playing with the boys. "We have split you into teams already and the boys' class will be joining us after the warm up," he continued.

He made us run two laps around the oval. Anyone caught walking would get the class an extra half a lap. No one dared to walk.

The boys marched up the hill to where we were, smirking and radiating male ego. Their teacher, Mr Talon threw the bags of sashes to the four team captains: Hunter, Kayne, Ryan and Alex. "Alright, on Hunter's team: Chelsea, Lauren, Harry, Peter, Luke, Jenny..." Mr Lawiener began. After a while, the names faded out and I perked up again once I heard my name. I was part of Ryan's team, and it was safe to say I had absolutely no friends.

"Hunter's team will be playing Ryan's. Kayne's team and Alex's team will be playing each other. Now move off to your fields. Hunter and Ryan, stay here. Kayne and Alex go back down the hill," Lawiener instructed.

Ryan silently handed me a sash and I silently took it, strapping it loosely around my waist. I floated around near the middle of the field, hoping to play one of those positions where you didn't have to do much. No one would mind anyway.

"Ready and start!" Mr Lawiener yelled, tossing up the ball. Hunter and Ryan jumped for it, but Ryan managed to hit it into the offensive just before Hunter could.

Our team went forward in a flurry of ball exchanges. Just as Ryan was ready to kick a goal, Hunter tackled him, sending him into the floor and the ball rolling onto the field. It rolled straight towards me. I ran for it, not entirely sure what to do once I picked it up. I handballed it to Penelope who frantically threw it to Ryan. "Foul! Throwing!" Lawiener yelled, blowing the whistle. Begrudgingly, Ryan passed the ball to Hunter to take the free throw.

Lawiener had always told us to 'man up' and pick a person on the opposition to defend. I jogged over to where Jenny was, making sure he couldn't pass her the ball. He looked over at us briefly. Please don't pass it over here. I might actually have to do something then. But he did. He threw it way over my head and despite jumping and flailing my arms around, I didn't catch it. Jenny did. She made a run for it and I chased after her, swinging my arms around.

Eventually, she tried to pass it and I intercepted the handball. Blindly, I kicked it to no one in particular, only certain that I'd kicked it in the right direction. "Nice pass nerd-bird!" Hunter yelled, catching it. I groaned. My teammates certainly weren't going to be impressed.