|Forty|

My heart was pounding harshly in my chest at the utter fear that crept down my spine as Delta's carnivorous eyes began sizing up her next prey. Hoskins.

For a mere second, she glanced her eyes over our quivering frames. Zach and Grey pushed behind myself as Owen protectively places his large frame in-front of myself. His stance wide and as I gently grab his outstretched arm as I cower behind him. My small hands trembling as I try to swallow the lump that had formed in my throat as I nervously watch Hoskins attempt to talk to Delta.

"Easy. Easy, boy. Easy. Hey, hey. We're on the same side, right? Right?" Outstretching his hand, his futile attempt at talking to the wild beast was doing no favours whilst he showed such weakness. His hands shaking and his voice nothing like that of an alpha. Unlike Owen, "I'm on your side."

His sickening screams had my stomach rolling and my eyes squeezed shut as Delta pounces. Her strong jaw clamping on his arm and tearing the bone and flesh from the shoulder. Her pincer sharp teeth flashing in the low emergency lights as she demolishes her powerless prey.

"Go go go!" Owen harshly whispers as he turns to make his body a barricade so the two young boys can't see clearly the chaos occurring. Ushering us all away and back into the corridor, never turning his back completely to the beast behind him.

Racing ahead of me, Zach and Grey, are running behind Claire as we sprint along the seemingly endless corridor. My rips aching at the steady breaths I try to take in.

I gasp, my eyes widening in fright, when Delta suddenly crashes through the glass divider in-front of us. Owen grabbing my shoulder and helping me to pivot quickly in my boots to flee back down the opposite wend of the corridor. The control room forgotten about. We needed to escape Delta's claws first.

She gave chase. Her claws 'clicking' and 'clacking' against the smooth surface beneath our feet as we retreat back through the activity centre. Grey, the smart boy, used his initiative and brought up a hologram of the Dilophosaurus to challenge Delta. Pausing her for a few precious moments that allowed for us to race out into the dark night. Delta's screams as she watches the hologram fading behind us as the large doors close.

We all stumble to a halt when Blue sudden appears from the shadows. Her tail high and her eyes hungry as she takes in the frightened prey before her. Drool almost dripping from her jaw as she stalks ever closer. My heart skipped a beat when Owen pushed himself in-front of us all. His arms outstretched and never taking his eyes off the predator that was sizing him up. Looking for vulnerabilities in his posture. Her eyes glancing to me for a second as she notices my stance so close behind Owen's protective frame. The two young boys hiding behind myself and Claire guarding them from Delta who had now appeared behind us.

The group circling us and herding us together so they could pick us off. Identify the weakest first and spilt us up when they lunge for us.

"So that's how it is," Owen, calmly says as he places his rifle down onto the ground and shows Blue his empty hands. Slowly edging forward as he reaches up to remove the camera and it's harness that is still attached to her head. Owen's hand steady as he moves along the side of her snout. Everyone holding their breath. Hearts pounding in our chests. My hand beginning to throb painfully as he gently removes the camera, letting it fall to the floor with a clatter.

There was a moment where no-one knew who would make the next move.

Blue, cautiously moving forward, her head gliding past Owen as we all stay completely still. Frozen in fear as she walks towards me. Claire grabbing her nephews and pulling them further back. Blue making her way towards my shaking frame. I hold my breath and daren't take my eyes off her to glance at Owens petrified face. She gingerly reaches out and places her muzzle on my stomach. Her hot breath as she exhales against my shirt the only thing I can concentrate on. She inhales deeply against my stomach before pulling away slowly and lifting her head to look at me. To really look at me with her bright eyes and tilt her head slightly counter clockwise as she thinks. As if she understood just what lay beneath my shirt. That the small being growing inside of me was part of her pack, because Owen was her alpha.

We were suddenly interrupted when the ground began shaking. Heavy footfalls began pounding in the distance as the loud screech of the Indominus- Rex attacks our ears. Her large form appearing around the corner of main street as she watches the scene before her. Her calculating eyes understanding the fact that a pack of raptors weren't hunting the humans that stood before them. Instead, the group of three raptors turned to face the large beast. Never cowered or showed fear as she roared ferociously and they gave charge.

Jumping and screaming they all attacked. A mix of claws and teeth as they climbed upon her haunches and bit deep into her thick flesh. Working as a melodic team, they tackled her and drew blood as they fought the monster off.

"Get someplace safe," Owen whispered urgently, pushing Claire and the boys off in the direction of the shops as he gripped my right hand tightly in his own.

"Be careful," he said to me. His eyes swimming in pools of fear for the safety of his family.

"Ditto," I whisper, pulling him in and kissing his chapped lips like it would be the last. Nothing needed to be spoken, the kiss said it all.