Chapter 44

Zarah's POV

Asaad had a gun pointed at Aysha's head.

Aysha was trembling—her mouth wobbled, and she was shivering. She was silently crying. I had never seen Aysha look like that. Tears rolled down my face in thick slobs that matched hers. I glanced at her and mouthed "sorry." She looked as broken as a shattered china doll. "It's going to be all right."

She gave me a broken sort of smile in return. I could hear my heart breaking into tiny pieces as I tried to smile back.

Why was this psychopath hurting my best friend?

Behind Asaad, all the guards were pointing their guns at him. And he seemed unfazed by it. In fact, he seemed to enjoy it. He had a cool and collected look about him I had never seen around someone holding a gun or having some weapon being pointed at them.

He was taller than me, but not taller than Ayyan. His broad shoulders were quite intimidating and his stance was predatory. If one looked carefully enough, he would see a faint resemblance between him and Ayyan.

Unlike Ayyan, he wasn't very patient and was rude, contrary to his poems. "Stop staring and get in the fucking house. Or else I shoot," he said, pulling Aysha closer to him and consequently pressing the gun tightly to her head. My legs were still stuck to the spot. They weren't complying with what my brain was saying. "I said move."

I gulped.

Ayyan must have heard the commotion because he came to see what was happening. "Is everything all right?" he asked. His question was answered shortly when he came face to face with his cousin. "Fucking piece of shit." The insult flew by his mouth so quickly.

Asaad smirked. "Hello, Ayyan. Kindly tell your wife to move or I blow the brains of your little sister." His voice was taunting and had an evil edge to it.

I shuddered as Ayyan's jaw clenched. His muscles tightened and his fists became balled. He was livid, but nothing was in his favour. A simple wrong step and Aysha would lie dead. He breathed heavily before steering me into the living room. His grip was a little tight, but I didn't dare point out.

I had never been in a more tense room. There were quite many people in it. First, we had Asaad pointing his gun at Aysha's head. Then there were Ayyan's guards pointing their guns at Asaad. Ayyan was glaring daggers at Asaad. And then there was me—frozen in the spot as I looked at everyone cautiously.

"Now that we're all here, tell your guards to stop pointing their guns at me or I swear Aysha would be dead before you know it." The annoying smirk was still on his face as he stood in one corner of the room.

"Drop your weapons," Ayyan gritted out. "How did you know I was here?"

Asaad laughed. "Tell your guards to let the rest of my entourage come in." Ayyan hesitated at first but did as told. It wasn't like he had any other option.

An old man came in, followed by some people that were probably Asaad's guards, and then Rukayya was led in by none other than her fiancée.

"Enrique Bristol? I fucking knew it," Ayyan hissed beside me.

Her fiancée had a smirk on his face as he dragged her in. She wasn't even trying to fight him. Instead, she was following him lifelessly.

What the hell did they do to her?

My breath hitched as the words came out of my mouth. "Rukayya, what happened?" I made a move to go to where she was, but Asaad stopped me.

"Sit your ass back down," he said.