The Unicorn and the Wasp

The Doctor shuffled into the console room the next morning, running a hand through his hair to find Donna waiting and ready. "Morning," he told her, stifling a yawn.

Donna smiled at him. "How's she doing?"

"Better," the Doctor replied. "I still think Messaline got to her."

Donna eyed him. "How about we stick to Earth for this next one?" she suggested. "For her sake?"

The Doctor looked at her. "You'd be willing to do that?"

"Spaceman, she's your wife," Donna told him with a smile. "And my little sister. Of course I'd be willing to."

The Doctor smiled. "Thank you, Donna."

She shrugged. "It's nothing."

"What's nothing?" a sleepy voice asked behind them as Jessie trudged into the room.

The Doctor chuckled, giving her a one-armed hug as she shook her head, clearing it out. "Nothing," he replied with a grin. "What do you think is nothing?"

"Shut up," she yawned.

The Doctor grinned, setting the TARDIS off. "Ready for the next trip?"

"Depends on where it is," Jessie replied. "Where are we?"

The TARDIS landed, and the Doctor shrugged. "Let's find out!" He headed for the door and stuck his head out and sniffed, sighing. "Oh, smell that air!"

Jessie followed him out and smiled. "Grass and lemonade. That's interesting." She sniffed again. "Hang on a minute . . . is that mint?"

"A hint of mint," the Doctor rhymed, and Jessie nudged him a little. He grinned. "Must be the nineteen twenties."

"You can tell what year it is just by smelling?" Donna asked incredulously.

"Oh, yeah," the Doctor agreed.

Jessie shrugged. "I could tell by the big vintage car going up the driveway, but yeah, I suppose he could tell by smelling."

"You take the fun out of it!" the Doctor whined as they headed off towards the manor.

"Good afternoon, Professor Peach," the butler was saying as the driver got out of the car.

"Hello, Greeves, old man," Peach replied as he got out when a bicyclist rode up. "Ah, Reverend!"

"Professor Peach," the vicar replied with a smile. "Beautiful day! The Lord's in his heaven, all's right with the world."

"Reverend Golightly," Greeves greeted. "Lady Eddison requests you make yourselves comfortable in your rooms. Cocktails will be served on the lawn from half past four."

"You go on up," Peach told Golightly. "I need to check something in the library."

"Oh?" Golightly asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Alone," Peach added.

"It's supposed to be a party! All this work will be the death of you."

"A party?" Jessie asked, beginning to grin as she looked at Donna.

Donna looked just as excited. "Never mind Planet Zog! A party in the nineteen twenties! That's more like it!"

"The trouble is, we haven't been invited," the Doctor said sadly before perking up. "Oh. I forgot." He winked, waving the psychic paper. "Yes, we have."

Jessie let out a small cheer and headed back to the TARDIS. She loved it when she got to dress up on these kinds of trips!

***