10. Ignorance Is Bliss, Until It's Not

CHAPTER TEN: Ignorance Is Bliss, Until It's Not

"A heart beating in denial." Her whisper had caught my attention, I don't know why such a strange statement is what made my mind and soul tragically fall back to reality. The affect it had was...both discouraging yet of the complete truth and admitting it wasn't in my nature, at least not to do so out loud. Where the words may affect someone else, when they're only meant for me.

A heartbeat is a heartbeat, denying its odd fluky nature at a time of its rooted wounds is that of a specific type of ignorance. A heartbeat going pitter-patter due to the absolute sorcery of tender love. It is the emotion so deeply hidden behind our interior shadows because there is no one else that requires a convincing argument, a forever pinkie-promised vow to never let go. Having the ability to keep quiet, instead of shout, to doubt and think twice, shackles our already restricted future to a controlled, loneliness that is so incredibly hard to get out of.

What am I talking about?

Love.

Whilst denying the feeling of it in the first place.

I was about to ask the girl as to what she had meant by it, but when I say what she was reading from, it all added up.

The Ball.

The Winter Ball, to be more specific. Each year, random romantic applicants write stories and poems about people in love, or the art of love itself. The winner, is "The Heart Beating in Denial".

It struck many students...all because they could relate. Denial, eventually leads to acceptance, but time is the real issue in this scenario. How long before one accepts what must be accepted? I had to use the poem as a topic in my first year English course, the deeper meanings of the stories, never caught my interest.

They still don't.

I walk passed her and start heading straight for the cafeteria. Trying not to wince with every sore muscle as they contract at my demand. The walls are already decorated with pretty, but dainty banners, posters and little object figurines of a couple dancing, different coloured love hearts, and little trophies. Each year the school nominates a King and Queen.

Each year, it's been Maximus and Everdeen. The ultimate sweethearts of Queen City High, it's to be as expected.

Each year, Myers is forced to dance, and though the other females don't notice it, but Myers always looks as though he'd rather be anywhere else than on the dance floor.

"Poppy, wait up!" I hear a feminine voice screech behind me. My left foot was already lifted to take another step forward before I pivoted towards the voice and dropped my back on the scaly white tiles behind me.