9

August 29, 2019

Ashton: Are you busy?

Me: Helping the twins with their homework. Why?

Ashton: I'm in the neighborhood. Thought that I could stop by...

Me: Yeah I guess. As long as you're clothed and on your best behavior.

Ashton: Can't make any promises now ;)

Me: Don't be gross.

"T! You have a visitor...visitors?" My mom's voice faltered at visitors. That was enough to increase the beating of my heart.

I turned the corner and was met with Ashton standing behind a stroller. Tonight was not the night for this.

"I have someone I would like you to meet." Ashton smiled at me, ignoring my mom's baffled look as she peeked into the stroller. I'd missed some minor details when telling my mom about Ashton and I. Minor details like a baby.

I excused myself and Ashton to my bedroom, where I could discreetly get mad at Ashton for coming over with some plan hidden behind his actions. He could be just as scheming as Sarah when he really tried.

"Um, who is this?" I pointed. But I knew full well who it was. Not saying that I blamed this child for ruining my luck with Ashton, but if he wasn't to exist then yeah, things would be different right now. Things would be happier.

"Jacob Bennett Irwin." Ashton said with pride. But why? Why proudly carry around a child that wasn't yours? Ashton carefully pulled the baby out, comforting him to silence as he stirred in his sleep. "Would you like to hold him?"

"S-sure..."

I cradled him to my chest, staring down at the light brown locks of hair he had. He was graced with the dead beauty of his biological father. Jacob squirmed in my arms, a yawn escaping his tiny mouth before he blinked his eyes fully open. The color of his orbs was something between the entrancing green of Dick's and the devious blue of Sarah's.

He stared up at me with a certain confusion that most babies had when they were staring at someone for the first time. Or he was fascinated by my face or trying to get a clearer view of my face. Whatever the meaning behind this look was, it was making me unbelievably more uncomfortable than the fact that I was holding this baby was.

The gummy smile I stared at was that of Dick's. It was so obviously a smile that resembled Dick's, that Sarah would be stupid to try to play the baby off as Ashton's. There was just simply no resemblance that I could map out.

"He likes you, that smile says it all." Well, Jacob would like anyone that wasn't his mom.

I forced a smile back, my heart stopping for a second as Jacob's hand grabbed my finger. How was I supposed to feel standing here with Ashton watching me? Was I supposed to ask questions? Like: how old was he? Did he sleep through the night yet? How often did he eat? Or flat out, why did you bring the baby here?

"Lauren's calling you...?" Ashton cocked his head to the side as he read my phone that lied on the bed. "My sister?" He looked up at me. God, my cover would be blown if I didn't think of a quick lie.

I pretended to be too busy paying attention to Jacob to answer, until something came to me.

"Oh no, Lauren who works at VKW. She's probably inviting me out for drinks." I shrugged.

Lies. Lies. Lies. It felt so good to lie to Ashton. Like getting away with murder good. Of course, I'd never murdered anyone or planned on murdering anyone so I was going off an improvisation here. I virtually shoved Jacob in Ashton's arms, feeling tainted by evil.