vii. blue and green

chapter seven
blue and green

 "YOU CAN GO NOW,"

 "I just want to make sure you get inside safe,"

 Rue Newby playfully rolled her eyes. "All I have to do is walk down my lawn, Steve," she told him, searching for her keys in her candy bag.

 "Yeah," Steve Harrington nodded, poking his head out his car's window, "you never know if there's an asshole waiting for you."

 The younger girl sighed, placing a hand to her hips, "I'll be fine," she pointed her bat at him. "Now, go home and watch a movie or something."

 "Ouch, it feels like you don't even want me around," he faked sadness.

 Rue giggled softly, turning around to walk up the porch. Digging the key into the hole, she turned around again and saw Steve still watching her from his car. "Bye! Thanks for the ride!" She waved.

 Steve waved back, starting his car again after making Rue had walked into the safety of her home. He smiled sheepishly, realizing he had found a soft spot for a thirteen-year-old girl.

 Driving out of the street, he quickly stopped when he saw a blur of orange hair pass in front of his car.

 "Sorry!" The kid he almost hit exclaimed before dropping their skateboard and going the direction he came.