Part 18

EXT. GRASSY FIELD–SUNSET

JORDANIA angrily sits on the stump and MIN has a paintbrush soaked in ink. Jordania glares at Min and they have a mischievous grin. Min proceeds to paint a black ring around one of her eyes.

JORDANIA: I swear, Min, if you poke out one of my eyes—

MIN: A bet is a bet.

JORDANIA: You cheated.

MIN: I still won.

JORDANIA: This is unfair.

CONNER and LUCY are laughing loudly while DARCY and ERLE are chatting. NANCY is napping nearby, unbothered by the noise around her.

BELINDA: Guys! Look what I found!

BELINDA is running towards the group and she has a piece of paper in her grip. Nancy wakes up from the noise and Erle stands up and squints at Belinda.

BELINDA: I already sent a message crow and everything! Everyone is going to be so excited! I want to be the one that shows everyone this paper!

Belinda gets to the group and is waving her arms frantically while everyone is staring at her in confusion. Min is distracted by the girl and mindlessly swipes the brush across Jordania's face.

ERLE: Whoa, whoa, whoa. What's the commotion?

BELINDA: I found another page of the journal of doubt!

LUCY: What?

CONNER: Hell yeah, that's awesome!

DARCY: Dude, is it real?

BELINDA: Of course it's real!

NANCY: What does it say?

BELINDA: It said "beware of the one who walked the path of the machine." Super cryptic right?

Nancy glances at Erle and his face is unreadable.

ERLE: Walked? That's past tense. What does that mean now?

LUCY: I don't like this. I just wanted a day off.

CONNER: It's nothing too big though...

BELINDA: It's totally a big thing! I found a clue! I can't wait for the next clue to happen!

Lucy shifts on her feet uncomfortably and Conner fans himself with his map.

CONNER: Oh, wow! It's sunset already. We should really save the details for tomorrow.

BELINDA: No! The paper might burn up!

MIN (puts brush in back pocket): Let me see it. I want to see it.

Belinda hands Min the paper but it bursts into flames suddenly. Lucy gives a shriek of surprise and Jordania's eyes are wide.

MIN CONT'D: That was close.

JORDANIA: Well, this is the same at last time. No doubt that it's the same book at least.

DARCY: Where did you find it?

BELINDA: The robot statue of course!

LUCY: Belinda, what were you doing anyways? Weren't you supposed to finish up the chores today?