v. bloody mishaps

chapter five
bloody mishaps

✧ 

 "TRICK-OR-TREAT!, "  Five kids exclaimed with bright smiles. They were all huddled together at the front door of an old lady's home.

 The woman beamed at the sight of them. "Oh! Well aren't you cute? The little exterminators and a baseball player!" she grinned, sticking out a bowl of chocolate bars.

 All the boy's smiles quickly turned upside down while Rue thanked her for them. Dustin scoffed softly, taking a huge handful of candy, then all the other boys. Although, just before they could walk out of the lady's porch, Rue had started small talk with her.

 "Don't you look wonderful tonight," She complimented the old woman who stood there baffled.

 "Aren't you kind."

 "When I was younger, my mother used to tell me that it's better to be known for my kindness and grace, and that rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength because kindness is the strength they're looking for," she said with her beautiful kind smile, her green eyes beaming under her cap.

 "That is so beautiful, where's your mother now? I'd like to have a word with her."

 Rue's smile flattered for a moment before she cleared her throat, waving her hand in the air and she said; "She's in Portland . . ."

 "Oh, well, what's your name, darling?"

 "Rue,"

 "A pretty name for a pretty girl," she pinched Rue's cheeks, and the boys laughed behind her.