Chapter 21

"Lindsey? Dinner!" Hellen called from downstairs, her voice riveting off the walls I had once called home.

Small sets of feet ran from the hallway, outside my door. I sighed, and yelled back, "I'm not hungry!"

Hellen didn't answer, but I knew she heard me. I wasn't usually up to doing anything out of the ordinary recently. I shivered, and wrapped my sweater tighter around me. My room, filled with darkness, seemed even lonelier than usual. I've been in school, but haven't really communicated properly with Lavender. I was too upset. Just being in this house, for the next year, stuck in the system; never having parents. I don't know why, but it was all hitting me at once.

Low knocking sounded outside my door, followed by the new girl, Mariella's head poking in. She was six, and absolutely adorable.

"What's wrong, Lindsey?" She asked, her voice childish.

She joined me on the bed, and snuggled into me. I smiled, and squeezed her. "I'm fine."

Mariella was quite. "Does it ever get better?"

I frowned. "What?"

She sighed. "Foster care."

I was dumbfounded. "Oh, honey. It does, I promise. You'll be adopted soon." And I meant what I said at that moment. She was young, sweet, and the cutest thing. Why wouldn't she be adopted?

"You weren't." She replied meekly.

I didn't answer, just mentally nodded in agreement. "Well, Mariella. I was different. But I promise you, you will be adopted."

Mariella nodded against my shoulder, than crawled out of the comfortable position. "I'm going to dinner."

I smiled, though I knew it was too dark for her to see. "Alright, sweetie."

And she was gone like that.

~~~~~~~~

I was reading my book, when my window started to make noise. Looking up, quite startled, I squinted at the window.

Something small suddenly shot up, and hit against the glass, creating a small ringing sound.

I jumped up, and ran to the window. Unlatching the lock, and pulling it up, I rested my elbows on the seal and peered down.

Nathaniel stood there, a handful of pebbles in his hand, and was about to toss another one.

"Nathaniel?" I asked, clearly perplexed. Nathaniel sky was currently launching rocks at my window.

He stopped, and looked up; his face lighting up. "Hey stranger."

I shook my head. "You're the biggest idiot alive."

"I am who I am."

"What are you doing here?" I inquired, overlooking his sarcastic reply.

Nathaniel grinned, flashing teeth. "We," he paused, dropping the pebbles and rubbing his hands together, "are going on a date."

I smiled. "Nathaniel, I can't."

"Why not?"

I frowned. Did he not understand? "Because I may be in situation where I can't leave the house after ten."

It was his turn to frown. "That sucks."

"Tell me about it." I muttered. A question dawned on me, and I raised an eyebrow. "How did you know which room I was in?"

He sheepishly smiled. "I was hoping I'd get lucky."

I stifled a laugh, my hand flying up to cover it. I could only imagine the expression on Hellen's face if he had chosen the wrong window.