18. Mother Dearest

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Mother Dearest

All things truly wicked, start from innocence.

When was icy air, innocent. Feeling the cold, is one thing. Having it embedded to your skin like a second layer, is something else. Goosebumps dash across my bare arms like vines. I didn't speak a word of silent torment as their shivers were much worse than mine.

Unfortunately, a certain Maximus Myers did not share the same sentiment.

He grunts every time he glances up at me. I pace, every now and then, I glance through the long stalks off the tree for any visuals on flickering blue and red lights. There's no sirens yet, which means the police are a little over half an hour away.

Another annoyed rumble of the chest catches my attention, it causes my vision to shoot to the owner. Maximus attempts to raise to his shaky legs and encase me in his delved warmth, but I give him a slight shake of my head to stay where he is, there's nothing he or I can do about it.

In my books, at least.

Rosa-belle breaks the silence with an awkward clear of the throat, I feel scorching eyes, many pairs, at the back of my head. Easier said than done, to ignore the feeling it shoots through me.

"I know this question may be a little obvious, but were you not scared, in the very least frightened, to go in there alone, Poppy?" Rosa-belle hesitates when she relays the question.

She remains quiet for a moment before muttering in slight disbelief,

"To even come all the way out here alone. I could never hold that kind of courage." She recites, admitting to a fear she had not yet known she had.

I face their scorching irises over my bare shoulder. A small pout, with a matching frown decorates my face, involuntarily. I turn towards them at that exact moment, leaning on the dry branch behind me. I cross my legs, whilst standing, looking down at the untamed grass below.

I furrow my eyebrows, "Everyone feels fear, I was prepared if anything had gone side-ways. I couldn't even guarantee you were all in there. Any traces disappeared two hours away from the school. No one had anything on you, until now. I don't care of the risk-" Maximus disagrees, whilst interrupting my open confession, his annoyance spikes with a flare and his face does nothing to hide it.

He looks around before sitting up, wanting to see if anyone in the group shares his thoughts on the matter, they don't speak up, so he full on glares at me.

"You could've been trapped along with us. They could have been there, in that room and you're telling me, that you don't care if you got hurt, if it meant finding out where we were?" He glares at me in frustration, I match his glare with my own.

"If it meant finding you, if it meant putting a stop to whatever the hell they were doing in there, Maximus. A thousand times over." I tell him, I tell them. I don't care of the risk, if it meant finding them.