15. Lola and Amos

~ Not Edited~

There were many questions clouding Ella's mind as she sat near the fireplace that was illuminating a seemingly small but comfy drawing room. 

It was already late at night and it had been a few hours since Ella, Amos, and the young maiden had arrived to the cottage. Lola's cottage.

Across from her was Lola who was tending to the young maiden who had fallen asleep. Lola squeezed the cloth from a bowl of heated water and proceeded to place the cloth on the maiden's forehead. 

"Lola," Ella prompted. 

"You want to know the relationship between Caballero and I," Lola responded confidently. 

Much to her surprise on Lola's swift response, Ella nodded. 

"Yes."

Before the young maiden had fallen asleep, Amos had retreated to the carriage and had informed Ella and Lola that he had business to attend to. Curious as she was to what business he could be attending to at that hour, Ella was more anxious to find out how Amos knew of Lola's home especially at its far distance from Dalton Castle. 

"Well," Lola began as she patted her hands dry on her mercury gown. She turned and looked at Ella. Her deep brown eyes burning with a longing memory. "When I first met Caballero, he was only six-years old. He was the most charming and cheekiest little thing. I had just opened my store at the time and he had come running in to tell me that I needed to have better customer service so that more people would come into my store and buy my dresses." Lola chuckled as she gazed towards the fire.

"I didn't realize at the time that he was the son of the late Duke of Westland. It only dawned on me when one day a public notice had been issued for a "missing prince" who was Amos himself. That's when I finally knew who he was." Lola sighed as she shifted her attention to the young maiden who laid soundly before her.

"After the "missing prince" had been found, I saw him almost every other week. He would come running into my store as usual and would always tell me things I needed to do to improve my business. It was indeed funny to have a six-year old give me pointers on how to run my business. Even now, he still tells me how to do so." Lola paused as her gaze averted back to the crackling fire before us. 

"When he was ten-years old, Caballero and I had come to know each other very well. He was a lonely but adventurous boy and I was a giving and patient foreigner. As you can tell, I am not from this land. I've been away from my motherlands for a very long time and I am happy to have made a home and a life here." Lola paused for a long while while taking a deep breath in and out. 

"Caballero's father ignored him most of his life. He never once acknowledged Amos completely as his son, until his final breath. So he would spend most of his days out and I had given him comfort in coming to my home if he needed some space. And so most of those years, he found constant refuge here. It was a change of scenery and it was also quite nice to have a warming company in the home." Lola faced Ella with a soft expression. 

The Duke was a warming company?  Ella internally questioned as she thought about the cold and arrogant Duke who showed no ounce of warmth or company. 

"As his newly wedded wife, I ought you to be understanding of his feelings and the way that he is now." Lola gently urged. "I know he can be a hand full most times but he truly has a good heart."

Ella was mentally and emotionally contorted. This side of Amos was something she had never anticipated. After listening to what Lola had to say about their relationship, she learned a different nature about him. 

A good heart. Those were the words that struck close with Ella. 

Ella's emotions were welling up inside as she thought back to all the little moments she would have thought to harbor affection for the Duke. 

It was clear that Lola held the Duke in a good account but she never would have thought that the Duke was lonely and ignored most of his life by his own father. 

What happened to the Duke to make him the way he is now?  Was all that Ella could ever think about as her feelings towards the Duke shifted between hatred, uncertainty, and compassion. 

Who was he? 

*~*~*~*~*

"My name is A-Anna."

The young maiden had woken up not long after Ella and Lola's conversation. Amos had also returned from his business. 

"What happened to you Anna?" Ella asked with concern. 

Anna shivered in fear as she timidly clung onto herself. "M-my husband...he at-tacked me."

Color left Anna's face as though she was recalling the events that had occurred. 

Ella had also paled at the thought as she worried over the possibility for when Amos would do the same. For he was her husband now. 

"Why?" Lola asked. 

"I don't know. We were fine until he returned from town with two other men - strangers - and then th-they began to - "

"It's ok," Ella reassured. 

Horrified at the thought, Anna cupped her face and began to sob helplessly. 

"H-he would never do that," she sobbed some more. 

"It's ok, you're safe now," Lola patted Anna's back reassuringly as she continued to cry. 

Ella turned to look at a stoic Amos as he stood behind them watching the fireplace intently. He looked to have figured something out but could not point it out. 

Before Ella was about to ask him a question, Amos quickly spoke. 

"Lola, are you able to look after her?" 

"Yes, Caballero. Why? Are you leaving now?" 

"Yes, we will catch the morning ship if we leave now."

Morning ship? Ella thought puzzled. 

"Ella, we must go now," Amos prompted as he quickly spoke to Lola quietly before exiting the cottage. 

Lola walked towards a stunned Ella. "Do not worry. Amos will keep you safe." Was all Lola said as she gave Ella a peck on the cheek. 

Ella quickly thanked Lola and reassured Anna that she was in safe hands before she left to meet the Duke who was waiting in the carriage. 

As she joined the Duke, all Ella could think about was, who are you Amos?

*~*~*~*~*

Apologies for the super delay. It hasn't been easy for any of us. But I am super grateful for the continuous love and support. 

Let me know if there's anything I need to improve on (besides time management and updating the next chapter lol)

Yours truly,

Miss Riah <3