Chapter 6: He'll Come Back

Susan stayed in her room all the next day. She had no desire to speak to Peter, or be around him for that matter. She should talk to him - that was the only way they would ever work out their disagreement.

If you've ever been stuck inside for an extended period of time you'll know what I mean when I say that Susan's room began to feel stuffy, especially since there was no air conditioning in Narnia. So Susan opened the double French doors which lead to her balcony. A pleasant breeze whispered through the room. A few stray hairs blew over Susan's face. She rummaged through her drawers finding a gold clip to hold her hair back.

As she was pulling back her hair an intimate call caught her ear. "Susan! Susan!" She opened the door but no one was behind it. Puzzled, she strained her ears to hear it again. "Susan!" It was coming from outside. She stepped out onto the balcony.

"Capsian?" She knew he would come back. He was standing on the ground below shading his eyes from the afternoon sun. He put a finger to his lips to shush her. Her eyes questioned him. He motioned for her to come down to him. She nodded and ran back inside.

She dashed down the stairs hoping Peter wouldn't catch her. He would have a fit if he knew Caspian was there but she hated to lie to him. Her hand was on the doorknob when Peter called from down the hall. "Where are you going Su?"

She sighed, closing her eyes in disappointment. She turned and smiled innocently. "Outside." She said.

"Well I can see that." Peter laughed as he munched on an apple.

Last night's sleep must have done him good. Susan thought, seeing the lighthearted mood he seemed to be in. She hated to ruin it by telling him Caspian had snuck into the gardens. "I'm just going out to the gardens." She told him honestly.

"It is a beautiful day." He agreed. Then he headed up the stairs, half an apple in his hand. Susan breathed a quick sigh of relief before opening the door and hastening around back to the gardens.

Caspian was pacing near the fountain when Susan ran through the gate. He perked right up upon hearing her enter. His expression was anxious, like there was something on his mind he needed to get off. Susan approached him slowly waiting for him to start the conversation.

When she had reached him he extended his arms and took her hands. "I'm sorry about last night. I was just fed up with Peter, I didn't mean to rush off on you like that." Susan smiled forgivingly. "And I want you to know that - even though I can't find sense in Peter's decision - I still love you, and I always will Susan Pevensie." He moved his right hand up to her face and cradled it, his finger extended back past her ear. "And no matter how long we have to wait I'll wait. I won't give up the chance I have with you again." His voice was soft but sure, and the way he touched her ever so gently made her skin tingle with delight. "I love you." He whispered. It was the three words every girl dreams to hear, and the three words most suitors dreamed of saying to this particular Queen, but only one suitor would ever get that privilege, and only one suitor would ever hear those same words back from her.

"I love you too." Susan whispered back rubbing her own hand along his cheekbone. And just as you would expect, they pulled into a long kiss. It would've been longer if they hadn't been interrupted by the voice they were most of afraid of hearing at the moment.

"What's this?" It was Peter. Susan tore her lips away, startled.

She searched for the words to say. "Peter what-"

"I can't believe this! You come back to be with my sister but won't even try to talk to me first! Didn't you know this would just offend me further?" Peter approached them with an intimidating manner about his voice.