Chapter Thirty-four

Luke's P.O.V

"You told me that Chloe liked me," I said angrily to Jacob, who was casually chatting it up with some random girl dressed as a slutty nurse. I had already seen four girls dressed as slutty nurses in the past thirty minutes. I guessed it was a super popular costume.

"Chloe does like you," Jacob huffed out a breath, clearly annoyed that I was pestering him while he was trying to score.

"Then how come she left the frat party with Kason?"

"What?" He stopped talking to the slutty nurse and turned to look at me with confusion. "She left with Kason?"

"Yeah, she did," I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. I felt a little betrayed by Jacob for giving me false hope. "Was it all a lie, Jacob?" I asked.

"What? Of course not. Why would I lie about something like that? You're my best friend," he said, and I could see how genuine he was. Jacob was hardly a serious guy, but I supposed when it came to me he was different. "I guess I was wrong. Sorry man. I genuinely thought she was into you," he apologized.

I gave a pained smile. "It's okay. I'll get over it."

"Why do I think that's bullshit?" Jacob gave me a slight smile.

––––––––––

My worst fears came to fruition when I went to Calculus the next day. Kason and Chloe were officially dating. They weren't boyfriend and girlfriend, but they were seeing each other romantically. Gunther was stoked about Kason's relationship with Chloe, congratulating him on finally getting the girl. Jess and I were the only ones who didn't like it.

After class I tried ditching Kason to walk by myself, but instead was stopped by Jess.

"So obviously I ruined everything with Kason that night, didn't I?" Jess said. I had never seen Jess bummed about anything before. Her feelings for Kason were real, that much was for sure.

I shrugged. "I don't know, Jess. Maybe he didn't like you in the first place." Just like how Chloe didn't like me in the first place.

"Well that was fucking rude. What has gotten into you, Luke? You're usually not his moody."

"It's nothing," I sighed, adjusted my backpack over my shoulder, and shoved my hands in my pockets. "I just don't feel good, that's all."

"Maybe you're coming down with the flu. It is flu season after all."

"Nah."

"Anyway, I guess I'll see you later in Theater Appreciation?" she asked while frowning.

"Yeah, I guess," I shrugged, and sauntered off to chemistry.

I went up the flight of stairs to already see Kason sitting...in my seat?

"What are you doing sitting in my seat?" I frowned.

"Well I figured that since Chloe and I are dating that we should sit next to each other," he grinned. "I thought you wouldn't mind."

"I don't mind," I smiled slightly and sat on the other side of Kason.

It didn't take long after to see Chloe walk in the auditorium. She looked different from her usual sweatpants and t-shirt. She wore a pastel–at least I think it's pastel. I'm not exactly an expert on colors–pink top that reached down to her thighs with leggings underneath. Even her hair was different. She obviously curled it, which framed her rounder face beautifully.

"Isn't she pretty?" Kason grinned sheepishly.

No. She's fucking beautiful.

"Hey Hailee...hey Kason," she said and sat between Hailee and Kason. She didn't even look at me when she said, "Hey Luke."