Chapter Thirty-five

Chloe's P.O.V

It was crazy how everything can change in an instant. One moment I was about to confess my feelings for Luke and the next I'm dating Kason. It felt weird and unnatural. It took me several days to let it sink in that Kason was actually into me and that Luke wasn't. It still pained me to look at Luke, getting flashbacks of Jessica kissing him. Everything would be different if Jessica didn't kiss Luke and if Kason hadn't told me that he liked me. I would've humiliated myself in front of Luke and ruined our friendship forever. I was just Miss Piggy in his beautiful green eyes.

That night of the Halloween frat party, I cried myself to sleep, which was pretty hard to admit. Everything kept replaying in my mind and no matter how many times I tried thinking about something else, my brain wouldn't allow it. It was like my brain was rubbing it in my face that it had been right all along.

Friday morning, I felt an odd sensation in the pit of my stomach. I assumed it was because I was nervous for my date with Kason, but I couldn't be too sure. I spent an extra amount of time doing my makeup and made sure to pick out the perfect outfit to wear for my date later. I decided on a navy-blue dress that complimented my pale skin and honey colored hair. It was the perfect combination of formal and casual. I curled loose waves in my hair for tonight and when I looked in the mirror I was actually pleased to see that I felt pretty for once. Not wearing baggy t-shirts and sweatpants was a confident booster.

"Are you excited about your date later tonight?" Hailee asked as she ate her bowl of cereal.

"I am," I bit my lip. "I'm just a little nervous."

"Aren't you always?" Hailee laughed and took a spoonful of cereal in her mouth.

"True," I smiled, took in a deep breath and exhaled.

"It's funny how I turned out to be right in the end," Hailee said smugly as she chewed.

"Right how?" I asked quizzically.

"Kason liking you and that confessing to Luke was a bad idea. I told you he didn't like you."

"Way to rub it in my face, Hailee," I rolled my eyes. How would she even know if I confessed my feelings for Luke or not? It's not like she knew what happened exactly that night anyway.

"Sorry," she smiled sheepishly and continued to eat her cereal happily. "I am happy for you though. Kason is pretty cute, and my bestie deserves nothing less."

"Thanks," I said glumly, but I couldn't help but feel like what she said was a lie. What was wrong with me? Hailee was my best friend. She would never lie to me...

"Cheer up, Chloe! At least you've got a date. It's more than what I've got," she snorted.

Well there's that...

––––––––––

I heard a knock on my dorm room door.

That must be Kason, I thought as I walked to the door. I opened it to see Kason grinning, his adorable dimples showing. He was dressed nicely for our date, wearing a blazer with a collared shirt underneath. It was just formal enough without being too dressy with an added bonus that he looked good.

"Are you ready for our date?" he asked with a wide grin.

I smiled weakly and nodded.

We walked out of the dorm and to his car.

"You look pretty by the way," he said as we got into his car.

"Thank you," I smiled. I could feel myself begin to blush. I've never had a guy call me pretty before. Not even Vance Underwood, my first boyfriend, called me pretty–sad I know. It was refreshing to feel attractive, which practically never happened. "You don't look so bad yourself."