35. Dropping Pretenses

Graphic scenes of violence ahead

As the two figures emerged from the cold palace, one was pure white, the other was fine ebony.

A signal firework rose towards the slowly darkening sky and exploded.

A resounding bang echoed throughout the royal grounds. From the looks of it, it was from the Sacred Sky hall. It was a symbol for those waiting outside the royal palace.

The two shared a look and flew to opposite directions.

Xia Lian Bei went towards the palace gates. Yin Hua Lei dashed back to the Sacred Sky palace.

She arrived in no time and the scene she came to was not far from her expectations.

The inviolable residence of the Emperor became a battleground for two princes.

The third prince Xia Yu Sheng was duking it out with the ninth prince Xia Yu Heng. Sparks flew everywhere as their swords met.

Meanwhile, the eldest prince was tending to his mother who received a stab wound.

Yin Hua Lei could only guess that Xia Yu Heng with his righteous cause spoke out against the third prince and it ended this way.

She also saw the corpses of imperial guards all over the place and the figures clad in black standing on the side, watching with cynical eyes.

Her father and grandfather were the only ones standing straight among the crowd of cowering royalties and officials.

None of the doctors wanted to help the eldest prince who was earlier accused of treason. But it looked like Duke Yin threatened one of the imperial physicians to tend to the noble imperial consort.

She sighed.

The Empress and Imperial Consort Fa were staring hatefully at each other.

Only Bai Chen Rong saw her arrival.

Yin Hua Lei threw a scornful smirk to which Bai Chen Rong felt her heart chill.

The princess then unhurriedly folded her sleeves and took off her gloves.

These gloves were only for decoration and unfit for gripping weapons.

Ducking, she pulled two swords from nearby dead imperial guards.

The two princes only saw a flash of a plum-colored dress and a few black feathers.

None of them were able to parry her sudden attacks as she looked like she flew out of nowhere.

Yin Hua Lei coiled her swords around the princes' blades and twisted them.

She turned on the spot making them both lose their grip.

Xia Yu Sheng was the first to let go of his weapon. If he didn't, his wrist might pop.

Yin Hua Lei took advantage of this and kneed his stomach even in close proximity.

This one kick carried her full weight while aimed at a single focal point.

The third prince found himself stumbling backwards and unable to avoid the fall.

His attacker who by now, he discovered to be Gao Le princess was also falling towards his direction but Yin Hua Lei braced herself and flicked her wrist.

"Aaaaaah!" Xia Yu Sheng's bloodcurdling scream echoed.

It turned out Gao Le princess used her sword to support her weight and stabbed it on the third prince's thigh to avoid falling.