Part 20

EXT. ELGIN RIVER–DAY

JORDANIA is lying next to MIN on the grass next to the river. They both look at the sky in boredom and Min yawns.

JORDANIA: I think that one looks like a salamander.

MIN: I have no idea what that is. (Pause) And I don't care.

Jordania reflects on their answer for a moment before getting a confused expression.

JORDANIA: Why do we hang out again?

MIN: Because we both have nothing better to do.

JORDANIA: We should bicker more often, I find it hilarious.

Min looks at her for a few seconds before focusing their attention back to the clouds.

MIN: Likewise.

Hollering can be heard in the distance and the pair continues to stare blankly at the sky.

JORDANIA CONT'D: Do you think we should check that out?

Min cranes their neck to the direction of the commotion before readjusting back to their original position.

MIN: Probably.

Jordania sighs before she stands up. She dusts off her dress and Min follows her lead.

JORDANIA: Let's see what the hooligans are doing today.

A small crowd has formed around a stand near the river. The person is wearing a homemade outfit of a wolf. A messy scribble of a wolf's face is drawn on the white sheet being used to cover the wearer. The sign is hand painted and it reads "I AM THE RIVER GUARDIAN" while the person organizes bells placed on the stand.

RIVER GUARDIAN: Welcome to my abode! Take a look around! Don't be shy!

DARCY excitedly observes the options before him while NANCY looks at the person with confusion.

NANCY: So you're selling bells?

RIVER GUARDIAN: Indeed I am!

DARCY: So what does the river spirit do?

RIVER GUARDIAN: It's the River Guardian!

DARCY: Ah, sorry. But what do you do?

RIVER GUARDIAN: I sell bells.

DARCY: Is that all?

RIVER GUARDIAN: Yeah. Want one?

There is a pause. The River Guardian holds out a bell for Darcy to take. He stares at the River Guardian for a few seconds. Darcy's face cracks into a large smile before taking the bell.

DARCY CONT'D: Of course I do!

NANCY: I'll take one too then. I want to make my own collar.

Nancy is given a bell. Min and Jordania watch the scene and Jordania stops Nancy.

JORDANIA: What's going on?

NANCY: Someone is claiming to be a River Guardian and pretending to be all cryptic.

MIN: Have they said anything useful?

NANCY: Nothing that we didn't already know.

MIN: You think they're faking it then?

JORDANIA: Of course they're faking it. Their costume is poorly made. If they want to deceive someone they should do a better job at it.

MIN: They don't look like a spirit at all.

JORDANIA: You can see how jagged the eye holes are! They're should've gone to the tailor to get help or just glue a bunch of goddamn leaves on regular clothing. The bed sheet thing isn't working at all.

MIN: The sign could be better too. It looks poorly made.

NANCY: They're doing this for fun. I don't think there's any harm in participating...

MIN: Tell that to Darcy.

DARCY: Look at the cool bell I got guys!

JORDANIA: Poor kid. So young and impressionable.

MIN: He's not ready for this world.

ROCH walks towards the stand and people start to back away from him.

ROCH: What's all this commotion?

DARCY: They're selling bells!

NANCY: They're giving away bells for free.

ROCH: Do they have a permit?

RIVER GUARDIAN: Hello officer! How may I help you?

ROCH: I will have to ask you a few questions. This stand is unauthorized.

RIVER GUARDIAN: What?

Roch takes the person's arms and starts to escort them away from the stand.

ROCH: Let's go.

JORDANIA: Well, I'll be.

MIN: I guess people shouldn't be pulling stunts like that then.

NANCY: I don't see any harm in it but getting arrested is really bad...

JORDANIA: If they want to add to the chaos they should do crap to avoid being caught, like making better costumes.

MIN: You're really fixated on the costumes.

JORDANIA: I could do better blindfolded. I do stuff like this all the time.

MIN: Fair.

NANCY: The Goat Man showed up earlier too.

MIN: So he did now?

NANCY: Yeah. He pretty much condemned the whole thing. Giving an offhand comment about how the sign was missing a letter earlier.

JORDANIA: You mean it was worse earlier?

NANCY: Yeah.

MIN: Well, they got caught now.

DARCY: Guys! Did you see that? I think they're part of the mystery!

NANCY: Um, they weren't.

DARCY: What? Dude.

NANCY: They were just messing around.

DARCY: But the bells...

JORDANIA: You poor child.

MIN: They're just bells.

Darcy stares at his bell and quietly pockets it.

DARCY (whispers): I'm still keeping this.

MIN: Alright.

NANCY: I wonder what that police officer is up to...

JORDANIA: Wasn't there a flying note about him? Maybe we need to keep a closer eye on him.

NANCY: Ah, maybe.

The group watches as Roch puts the mischief maker into the police car before getting in himself. Crows cry noisily in the treetops and the soft roar of the engine slowly fades as they drive away.