20 Once the Ship Has Reached Mid River, It's Too Late to Plug the Leak 1/2

船到江心,补漏迟
chuán dào jiāng xīn, bǔ lòu chí
Once the ship has reached mid river, it's too late to plug the leak.
It's too late to change course now.

The clouds that had been out on the sea had rolled in by the next day. They hung over Zhanghai, dull and oppressive and turning the world into a humid grey place.

When I realized that the true reason the princess sought my company at the festival was to exploit my make-up skills, I had resolved not to go. But after spending the day doing nothing but watching the clouds over the ocean, I was feeling in need of more lively entertainment.

So, surprisingly, I found myself outside Ermi's door late that afternoon, dressed in the yukata she had loaned me.

I knocked. "Come in!" Ermi's voice called through the door. I slid it open and stepped softly inside.

Ermi was sitting at a table by the window, much as I had been in the room above all day, but instead of looking at the clouds looming ever more ominous, her eyes were fixed on a book in her lap.

The girl had her back to me, and neither she nor her maid, who was folding clothing to one side, had taken note of my entrance. I approached silently and peered over Ermi's shoulder at her book.

When I saw what was written, I laughed inwardly and then read the line at the top of the page aloud. "'—he whispered in her ear as he guided her body closer. She came willingly into his arms, hands sliding up his chest and around his—"

"Ao-jie!" Ermi exclaimed, shutting her book with a sharp snap. I noticed she had asked the book seller to wrap the cover in paper. Having never felt the need to hide anything I read I had never made such a request, but I knew it was something customers often did for privacy.

"Hmmmm, what are you reading, exactly?" I asked, grinning down at the little princess.

"It's- it's just a romance novel," Ermi stammered. "About a man and a woman, separated by circumstances, who fall in love, and against all odds-"

I waved dismissively. "It matters not to me. Just make sure no one else catches you reading it, yes? I doubt it's proper, and would reflect badly on me as your propriety instructor."

"Of course, Ao-jie," said Ermi, carefully sliding the book under a stack of others on the low table beside her.

The little princess then noticed my attire. "Ao-jie! You're wearing the yukata! Does that mean you're coming with us?"

I smiled. "I am."

Ermi squealed and clapped her hands. "That's wonderful! Do you think— do you think you could help me with my make-up?"

In answer, I produced my small makeup box from my sleeve.

Ermi squealed again, even more exuberantly, and jumped to her feet, shaking the table beside her and causing one stack of books to slide to the side. I could not even feel angry, in the face of her enthusiasm.

"Yes yes, now sit down, and I'll get you ready," I said, guiding her to her makeup table and pushing her down onto the seat.

I did the girl's makeup while the maid prepared her dress. Ermi's yukata was soft blue and covered with pale pink blossoms. Most likely blossoms of the cherry tree, which I knew were popular in Wa. I mimicked the soft natural shades of the yukata in her makeup.

I could tell Ermi liked the result by the amount of time she spent staring at her own reflection, turning her head back and forth as if to confirm it was really her own face she saw.

The maid helped Ermi dress, carefully aligning the hems so the straight lines of the garment were preserved, even on Ermi's curvaceous form. Then the maid helped the both of us to wind the long, stiff obi bands around our middle, and tie them into ornate bows at our backs.