18. watermelons

jeongguk sighed. the roles were reversed now, jeongguk was the one dying to get some alone time.

the supermarket hummed in action around jeongguk, feeling rather isolated in a black t-shirt and jeans when everyone else was in typical farm sun dresses and plaid button ups, picking through fresh fruits and veggies.

jeongguk hated that he liked taehyung. he hated that he had a soft spot for the bed n breakfast boy.

when you're a hitman, people aren't supposed to mean anything to you. people are just another pawn in your game of criminal activity. another obstacle in the way of becoming boss like the video games that he played way too much. life wasn't a video game, but jeongguk couldn't help but feel like it was sometimes. committing terrible deeds with no consequences and always ending up being the hero tends to disconnect people from reality.

jeongguk wondered while rummaging through bell peppers what scared taehyung so much. maybe that he was stuck with someone who had so much power but so much vulnerability.

he had power in guns, cash, violence, and had contacts with the highest-up business men in korea at just eighteen years old. but jeongguk knew the truth about himself; he was vulnerable.

he was awkward at small talk, he didn't know what to say back to cashiers, he was pushy and impatient. he pretty much had the mental capacity of a prepubescent weeb high school boy.

before, he'd fall asleep half way through lessons and skip class. "promise me gguk, in this line of work, school doesn't matter. your dad will buy you into one of the prestigious colleges. no more cram schools, kay?" hoseok told him every time he came to the offices with a pile of unfinished homework.

maybe that's what he liked so much about taehyung. he was the epitome of normal. naive, innocent, and unsuspicious. he worked nine to five, took his small pay checks and saved up for his dreams. jeongguk missed the days that he had to worry about money, which was weird because people say money solves everything.

jeongguk hesitated. even if the whole world was crashing and burning around taehyung, he'd still be staring at his toes with those doe eyes.

in a way he was tired of hauling him around. tired of the tears, the anger fits, and the arguments over pepperonis last night. as jeongguk idled awkwardly in front of a display of giant lime green watermelons, he realized something.

it was the longest time he'd spent with anyone in a while.

actually, in forever.

it was only two nights, but everything felt longer. days before this felt nonexistent; just breathe, eat, and sleep, occasionally end up in some dimly lit warehouse in the middle of the slums of the city to "take out" someone for hoseok. now that he had someone to be with and look after for the time being, he could finally feel content.

that moment of relief fades quickly as he realizes he's been staring at the watermelons for five minutes and there was a line up of old farmers waiting to get in front of him.

mouthing a small "sorry," jeongguk faded back into his thoughts.

truthfully, he enjoyed the feeling of authority when he tied his signature black shiny shoes and slipped on thousand dollar suits, stepping into black cadillacs and living in a perfect mansion. holding life in his hands. it gave him a rush, a fire in his veins that went instantly colourless as quickly as a bullet could be shot.

but that wasn't jeongguk.

it was just that characterized moment and then the guilt would kick in. he would want to tear off his expensive tux and stupid shoes and scream but he had to remain cool.

jeongguk briefly fantasized about a family. backyard parties and going to late night movies and buying the overpriced popcorn. holding hands in the rain. laughing and smiling through tears. experiencing first love.

but what would he tell her?

he didn't have happy memories. he couldn't ever have a blind date at a café and drink frothy mochas over small talk. he ever couldn't sign up to a dating app. he just couldn't.

because the police were after him.

and if the police caught him, he'd be bailed out. that bothered him, too; even if the worst happened, he'd still be free.

so he frowned, handing his shopping basket to the cashier at the till, wanting to get back to taehyung on his mind.