041. avengers assemble

› CHAPTER FORTY-ONE ‹

Light flickered through the thick leaves, dancing across his flushed face. A small groan escaped his lips as the birds chirped happily against the warm autumn sun. He tugged his arms out from under him and rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand, the texture of the glove grabbing his eyelashes and pulling them open. He stared up at the green leaves blowing against the calming winds.

Scrunching his eyebrows together, he realized his back was settled on the Wakanda land. He had no idea what was happening because the last thing he remembered was crying in Thor's arms while his body turned to dust. It felt as if no time had passed and he had merely passed out, especially since he woke back up to the same sun and leaves in the nearby trees, but he didn't understand why he was alone. Thor and Trystan wouldn't leave him, but they were nowhere near him.

Stale grass and leaves crunched from his left and he leaned up onto his elbows and shifted to the noise. Bucky Barnes was pushing himself off the ground, still in the same uniform as earlier, but he lacked any previous injuries. He looked exactly as he did before the war on Wakanda began.

Raleigh remembered Thanos taking down every Avenger with no more than a wave of his gauntlet until it was only him between Thanos and the Mind Stone. His hand flew up to his throat, recalling Thanos hauling him up by his neck. However, just like Bucky, Raleigh couldn't feel any signs of the attack. Ripping off his gloves, he searched for any inclination that he had fought in the battle, but there was nothing. They were perfectly intact, despite them fading away the last time he saw at them.

"Steve?" Bucky asked, scanning the clearing in obvious confusion. When he was met with nothing but silence, he blinked back at the teenager and pushed himself to his feet. He walked to Raleigh, who was now desperately looking for Thor or Trystan. It didn't make sense. Raleigh thought to himself as he glared at the ground. He was almost certain Thor's ax had been there... They were right here.

"You good?" Bucky held out his hand to the ravenet and the boy stiffly nodded and took his teammate's hand. Bucky easily hauled him to his feet and the teen was surprised by the lack of pain he was in. The terror that shook his knees was gone, despite the odd circumstance they were in. He just wanted to figure out what was happening.

A bush crinkled near them and a head covered in red hair poked out of the foliage. Wanda Maximoff's sight land on her two teammates and she dropped her tense stance and stepped out from behind the shrub. She gazed around the empty land while fresh tears coated her cheeks. "What happened? Where is everyone?"

Neither of them says anything, not able to form an explanation since they were just as confused as she was, so Bucky just silently shakes his head. The confusion they were in continues settling as Raleigh glances around and notices the tree-creature that arrives with Thor and the weird raccoon gloomily walking towards them. He was a bit taller than he was and as he lifted his head, his light brown eyes met with Raleigh's blue ones.