23. Misery Loves Company

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: Misery Loves Company

Just go with it. That saying is something I'd love to drown in a pool of vinegar and acid.

William Myers obviously didn't talk, at least not to Maximus, who suddenly looks happy with just walking me to my classes, placing kisses against my cheek every time he leaves after escorting me, never on the lips, surprisingly. Confidently holding hands at lunch. Suddenly far more relaxed than the tight-arse he'd been before we started dating. I stare straight forward while we sit in the main hall of the school, Principal Dean on the stage and a few shareholders, the same two I recognised from providing them a tour, their children were obviously in the crowd too.

Maximus leans his short sleeved muscular arm behind my chair, playing with the honey blonde strands from my wavy ponytail as we sit and watch Principal Dean forget just about everything regarding this compulsory camping trip the board was happy to provide for in educating their students.

Surprisingly, no principal has any idea what their school teaches, what curricular activities are about and what camp trip events play out, and when. Dean does focus solely on his reputation at the school and while I have wanted to pull him up on it, I have greater priorities over telling him how to properly do his job.

Principal Dean leans down in his expensive suit pants and jacket, not remembering the fact he still has a microphone in his hand, "Which camp is this again?" He asks the eye-rolling physical education teacher from third period, who teaches junior years specifically.

He stands, or rather jumps back up, moving back to his previous position, before speaking.

"Students of Queen City High, I welcome you to our annual assembly meet!" Dean yells through the microphone, even though we have speakers at the top and mid-ceiling lines, throughout the hall. Maximus, at first, was a little shy with me for the past few days, making me concerned with whether William blabbed. The dinner at their estate was tense, in the very least, especially after Annalisa's comment about making me her daughter, that sounded nice. Though, once Maximus realised I hadn't looked into it, he'd softened remarkably. William only paused at the name of 'Celestial', so how much did he know? Believing he had nothing to do with the order on my parents' deaths was still not possible.

It shows just how much marriage kills, even for him.

Such a great fact to know.

I roll my eyes, just remembering how jumpy he had gotten every time I'd walked into a bloody room. Dean reads off of a script all about the special camp all seniors are required to attend for three days. Maximus lets go of my hair and straightens up, listening when Dean lists the items to bring, our own tents and such.

"School begins at eight thirty tomorrow for the trip, be prepared, students and never forget to have fun. Learn something and do the duties you are allocated to do. Thank you, now time for class." He finishes just as the bell rings, the crowd disperses while our group hung back, waiting for the lines of crashing student traffic to dial down.