Against the Wall

You sat on a seat in a small carriage, staring down at your hands that were folded in your lap. Your mind kept drifting back to the horrified looks Nadia and Alex had on their faces as the two messengers practically dragged you away from the house. You shut your eyes tight, trying to get the image out of your head. You silently prayed that that wasn't the last time you would ever see them again. 

"We'll arrive soon." One of them said, their voice devoid of emotion.

You looked up and glared at them, "We could've walked to the palace." You snapped, feeling a slight bit of pleasure and the annoyed look they both shot you.

"Prince Connor and Aiden both requested that you come by carriage. They said that they wanted their new employee to have all the luxuries on her arrival to the palace since she was coming to fill the much-needed spot." The other said, sending you a glare that was meant to cut off all conversation.

You didn't take the hint. "But I didn't want to fill this spot. You dragged me from my friends house and threw me into this carriage!" You exclaimed as you leaned towards them.

"Miss (Y/n), I would suggest that you sit back in your seat before I take any of this as a threat. The Princes said to bring you, they didn't specify what condition." The other said, his eye twitching.

You leaned back and crossed your arms, looking outside the window as you saw the palace slowly come into view.

You shot menacing looks at the two messengers until the carriage stopped and they both practically dragged you out of the carriage. Once you regained your balance, you shoved each one off of you.

"I can walk fine by myself." You mumbled as you walked ahead of them.

You heard no response from the two behind you, but you slowly made your way through two giant wooden doors alone and into the place you dreaded to end back up at. You walked down the same hallway, the two messengers at your side, although you opted to call them escorts at this point. Slowing down, they pushed open the double doors and you were greeted with the room you were in a week ago, although now you had time to take it all in.

It was quite a beautiful room. Most of the walls were made of light blue stained glass and the floor itself was made of a washed light grey stone. There were chairs that lined the sides of the rectangular room, but you could tell the thing that was meant to be looked at was what was in front of you. A platform of stone was raised near the back of the room. On top stood two thrones, both made of what you assumed was quarts and sapphires. Diamonds decorated the sides of the thrones, making their way up in elaborate designs. However, you knew you weren't supposed to be looking at the thrones right now, you were supposed to be looking at the people sitting on the thrones.

"Ah, Miss (Y/n). So, you decided to accept our proposal after all," You heard Aiden say and you forced your cold gaze to meet his. You noticed that today both of the princes were wearing a similar blue suit that the messengers had on, except theirs was accented in silver and gold. A singular medal hung on each of their shirts.

"I didn't accept..." You mumbled, staring at the ground.

"I'm sorry what was that?" You heard him say and looked up to see him rising from his throne.

You held your gaze with him as he slowly walked towards you.

"Brother." Aiden said, calling to Connor who was still staring at you from his position on the throne.

"Yes?" Connor inquired, his gaze never leaving you.

Aiden circled you a few times, your eyes following his movements until he stood in front of you with a smile, "I think we'll go with Option C after all now that I see her in front of me again."

Connor nodded his head, acting as if what Aiden said had made sense and wrote something down on a slip of paper he held.

Aiden noticed your glare and looked at you in mock concern, "Oh what's wrong dear (Y/n). Don't you want to be here?"

Your mind weighed your options on what to say before you opened your mouth. "No quite frankly I don't. I don't want this job, I don't want to work in the palace," You paused, wondering if the next thing you said would be out of line, "And I most certainly don't want to work for you." You crossed your arms to make your point.

Connor got up from his throne and walked down towards you. Your gaze shifted from one prince to the other, but your cold stare never wavered.

"Tsk, Tsk, (Y/n). We really will need to teach you how to hold that tongue of yours," Aiden said, malice glinting in his eyes.

"Quite so," Connor said as he looked to the two messengers who were still standing beside you, "What were her friends names again?" He turned his head to the side, playing it off like an innocent question.

"Alex and Nadia." They said in unison, and your heart plummeted. You hoped they weren't getting at what you thought they were.

"Ah," Connor said as he came up beside you and pinched a strand of your (h/c) hair and played with it, "Alex and Nadia. They sound like good friends. See, someone already reported to us about your little...adventure in the village today. Its quite honorable though, seeing as you came to us to save your little friends lives." He said looking at you with fake adoration.

"However," Aiden said, "Their lives haven't been spared. Offing one of them would be as quick and easy as slicing a piece of cake." He stated as he watched all the color drain from your face.

"Don't-" You started but Aiden held up his finger.

"I think its best if you kept silent and listened to what we're about to say." He whispered and looked at Connor.

"You will work in this palace from now on, although it was never up for discussion. You will speak when spoken to and you will answer to our every need." Connor explained as he let go of your hair and focused on your face.

"No one is above us." Aiden added as he looked for any change in your facial expression.

You felt your body become washed in rage and fear as you heard the words fall from Connors lips. The ringing in your ears slowly drowned them out as you focused on a specific point in the room, making sure to not look at either brother.

"Now brother, if I didn't know any better, I'd say she's trying to ignore us," Connor said, "Which is most unpleasant."

Aiden nodded solemnly, "Most unpleasant indeed." He cleared his throat, "Lucio, Maverick. Travel back to the village and go kill one of those unsightly friends of (Y/n)." He said, eyeing you as they both bowed and started to leave the room.

You turned around and grabbed one of each of their arms and pulled them back, "No! Stop! Please!" You yelled as you looked at Connor and Aiden, panicked.

"Tsk, Tsk, you're not listening (Y/n)." Aiden said, amusement apparent in his features.

"I-I am." You shakily said as you slowly let go of the messengers who didn't move anymore.

You felt two arms wrap around your torso and a head lean against your left shoulder, "Are you though (Y/n)?" You heard Connor whisper in your ear. Your cheeks became bright red as you tried to pry his arms off of you.

"P-Prince Connor! Stop! I-I said stop!" You stuttered as you felt him smile into your shoulder.

"Eyes on me (Y/n)," You heard Aiden say as he grabbed your chin and forced you to look at him, "Now. Do you accept your job? I'd be very careful answering this time."

Your eyes widened and your pulse quickened as you slowly realized that you had been backed into a metaphorical corner. You couldn't say no or Alex and Nadia would be hurt, but if you said yes you were practically signing your soul away.

"I don't like how long she's taking brother," You heard Connor mumble into you, "Maybe we should show her how fast we can really hurt one of her friends."

"No!" You heard yourself yell. Aiden looked at you expectantly and it was clear he was enjoying every moment of this.

"No..." you repeated, "I-I'll accept the job. I'll work here. In the palace."

Aiden raised his eyebrows and smiled, "For us?'

A sickening taste filled your mouth, "For you."