Chapter 14: I Don't Want to be Sick (2)

The medical concoctions prescribed by the doctor worsened his symptoms. His fever had risen so high that Edward had to personally facilitate his body temperature with his magic.

Edward was furious when no one had bothered to inform him of his brother's declining health. Granted, half of the staff was baffled with worry and were only able to have enough sense to contact a doctor, but it wasn't as if they couldn't spare someone to inform him. He would rather be at Thomas' bedside than exchanged pleasantries with the Gallants.

Xander and his mother did, in fact, join them for dinner, both the mother and son pair looking sheepish the entire time. Obviously, the Queen had forgotten her previous appointment with Lady Gallant and, more likely than not, was reminded by her maid-in-waiting and/or her husband. And considering the dramatic goodbyes his best friend had given him when he left the school, the Prince was evidently embarrassed by their short separation time.

The Gallants were hospitable, as one should be when royalty was visiting, but there was too much kissing up for Edward's taste. Both Lord and Lady Gallant were trying to gain the Queen's favor by flattery and generosity while their son, Nicole, was tasked to entertain the Crown Prince. Of course, Nicole seemed unaware that the topics he leaning towards were making Xander uncomfortable, but as the country's Prince, he had been subjected to many conversations he didn't necessarily want to be part of.

Despite Edward's worries and precautions, Xander was more than capable of saying 'no' and taking care of himself and his reputation. His attendance at the dinner was absolutely pointless.

The only reason why the Gallants had invited him to dinner was due to his friendship with the Prince. Both the Lord and Lady Gallant knew one of the best ways to improve their son's relationship with the Crown Prince to build a bridge through his close confidants. It was rather unfortunate that they were unaware of the two heirs' actual relationship, and that their son had long botched up his chance with Edward since the first day they had met.

Either way, the eldest Rosetta didn't really have the will to scold them. By the time he came back to the estate, nearly all of the servants were running around like headless pigeons. He almost had to ask Mr. Hughes to catch one of the servants to ask them what was going on.

In the end, he was able to bring order to the manor before either one of his parents came back from their respective errands (or worse, Katherine, who would just add more chaos to the situation). He made sure all the maids and butlers were doing their jobs and finished up tidying the mansion and that all of the estate guards were back into their positions.

After the doctor had concluded his visit, he left a bill with one of the butlers, Amir, which the Zafarian then gave to Edward in turn. Turning down the ridiculous offers from some of the servants to pay for the youngest master's medical bill by using some of their own paychecks, Edward took care of the entire thing with his own money from a separate bank account.

While his father, therefore his family, wouldn't deny Thomas medical care and would pay off the bill as he had done, his mother might get involved and it was better just to cut off the drama before it could even start. His mother would accuse the youngest of faking despite the fact that Thomas, surprisingly, had never used this kind of attention-getting method before. Father would still pay for a doctor nonetheless, and that would leave Lady Rosetta's mood sour for the next few days or so.

She would also not be happy once she found that her son was indulging the illegitimate child, but his mother had never paid attention to his spending. She would often keep a close eye on her husband's business (therefore, the Rosetta's fortune and how it was being distributed) but Edward had never been a child that had asked for much. The biggest spender in their family was either his mother or Katherine, but his sister was the type to pay for her own things using her own money.