II

Leona smiled her skin the color of light chocolate, just like I had remembered. Her long black hair was in two braids that went down to her waist. She walked towards me, the stained victorian nightgown hanging on her slim frame. 

        "You haven't changed at all, my Précieux." Her voice was the same as well, the same Southern accent with a hint of French mixed in for that unique sound.

        "Neither have you, Leona." I smiled as I turned back to the mirror. 

        Her soft hand took the dark red ribbon from my hand and she ran her fingers through my hair. I smiled as she played with my hair before collecting it up, tying it back. Some of my shorter hair by my face fell from the ponytail, framing my face. I smiled again, turning towards my friend. Leona cupped my face before pulling away. 

        "How have you been, Précieux?" She asked, walking over to the tree.

        "I've been well. How about you, mon cher ami?" I stood before joining her at the tree. Leona smiled before starting up the tree. I chuckled and followed her up, further up into the heights of the tree. 

        "I've been everywhere, traveling here and there." She lowered herself onto a branch, stretching.

        I nodded and sat on a branch by her, watching her kicking her legs back and forth. 

        "Well, I'm glad you've been traveling. What's the outside world like, Leona?" I looked at her in her gold eyes. She smiled sadly and looked up at the ceiling. I followed his gaze, staring up at the light that. I had bewitched the ceiling to imitate the sky of our city, so I looked up at a mixture of colors. 

        "What's the sky doing, Leona?" I asked her, looking back at her.

        Leona smiled to herself, continuing to look up at the colors.

        "That's called a sunset, mon précieux un,"  Leona said.

        I looked up at what was called the "sunset" again. It was a beautiful painting of blues and purples mixed with reds, oranges, and pinks. I smiled slightly to myself as I watched the "sunset".

        "Based on your answer, I can tell you still aren't allowed outside..." She was quiet as she spoke, but I heard her.

        "Father says it's a dangerous world and that I shouldn't step foot out there without permission. It's for my safety." 
        "But why would you agree to stay locked up your whole life? You were ten the last time I saw you and at that age, you only were allowed into the gardens once every year." She turned towards me, studying me with her piercing eyes.

        "I trust my father, ma gentille soeur. Even though he may be bad, I still trust him, for he is family." I was quiet as I spoke, knowing she wouldn't believe me, as always.

        "That man doesn't deserve your love, Kaleb. He is cruel and evil, turning your siblings against you." 
        I remained silent as she voiced her opinions about my father, looking back up at the ceiling. It was now bleeding more into the cooler colors of dark blue and purple with some medium pinks and reds swirling through, indicating where the sun was saying its goodbyes in the actual sky. I studied it, Leona's voice melting into background noise.

        "Kaleb, are you listening?" 

        I blinked before turning to her.

        "I'm sorry, Leona. I became lost in my thoughts. Please, forgive me..." I lowered my head slightly, expecting a harsh slap. Instead, all I received was a gentle caress of the cheek.

        "I am not like your father so do not cower before me, mon précieux un." Her voice was softer than the shrill speech before. I smiled sadly before nuzzling my face further into her hand, feeling the cold and slightly damp skin against my own, like condensation on a cool glass of lemonade freshly poured from a pitcher. There was a knock at the door.

        "Maître Kaleb, are you ready?" 

        It was Aloin.

        "Ah, yes. Sorry for making you wait, Aînée Aloin." I spoke loud enough for him to hear before turning to my old friend. 

        "Go. I shall be waiting for you right here, Kaleb." She kissed both of my cheeks before smiling softly and disappearing, the faint scent of daisies filling my room. 

        I quickly lowered myself from the great oak and made my way towards the door, opening it. Aloin smiled at me as he led me down the extravagant corridors of the Valiquette manor. Paintings of my ancestors hung on the walls, their dark and stern eyes gazing into my soul. I continued beside Aloin, listening to a grandfather clock striking seven in the distance. The hall was cold, most likely due to the season of winter that had fallen upon Bourges. 

        Aloin opened the doors to the dining hall before stepping aside for me. My family already sat at the large table covered in plates and platters of food, waiting for my presence.

        "Finally, you decided to join us, pathétique un. Now, sit down so we can eat now that you decided to be fashionably late." said the harsh voice of a man, glaring at me. 

        I flinched slightly and nodded, making my way towards the last empty seat.

        "Of course, Father- I mean, Lord Valiquette..."

___________________________

Ok, so you've been introduced to a new character, Leona. Believe it or not, she's important, so yeah. Also, words. Also also, sorry if my writing sucks, I'm just sort of blah from babysitting nonstop.

Précieux: Precious

mon cher ami: My dear friend

mon précieux un: My precious one

ma gentille soeur: My gentle sister

Maître: Master

Aînée: Elder