Chapter 15 - Soon

Catherine Ashton

"Slow down, Catherine." Jacob said and I dropped my spoon. I let out a sigh and glared at him.

"I'm so used to eating fast because you made me do things while I'm enjoying my free time." I said as I took my glass of water.

"It was your job as a secretary, don't blame me for it." He said and I took a fork stabbing it on my sausage. I glared at Jacob as I'm doing it. He looked at me disbelief and he immediately looked at his food. I drank my water quickly.

"You know.. you were merciless, Jacob."

"Wow, now you're giving me a lecture since you're my fiance now." He said as he rolled his eyes and I glared at him hard.

"Your employees are all human not a robot. You make them work from 8 in the morning till 10 at night. Not all your employees are single, Jacob. They have family, boyfriend girlfriend, some people have a child and have been raising them as a single mother or dad. I know you give them a really good salary in return but you can't buy time that you miss between your love ones." I literally gave him a long lecture.

"You weren't complaining.. you loved that job." He said.

"How can I complain? You're my boss, you will fired me the second I say that." I said and he nodded admitting that I'm right.

"So.. anything else?" He asked in a pissed tone.

"No." I said as I pretended to zip my mouth. He looked at me annoyed and he ate his burger again.

"You know.. work was my only distraction." He said and I looked at him.

"Distraction from what?"

"My addiction to alcohol and the sadness that I have." He said and I put down my spoon and fork.

"But that's not the way to distract yourself. You did success distracting yourself but you're making other people suffer." I said in a soft tone and he hissed.

"Now don't give me that pity look, I don't need that." He said and I shrugged.

"You're an asshole."

"You didn't say that when we were busy with each other." He smirked and I looked at him flatly.

"Perv."

"Honey, look at the mirror." He smiled sweetly and I just ignored him by continue eating my food. After we're done eating, I got up first and paid for the bills. I walked towards the toilet and did my business.

When I walked out from the toilet, I bumped into someone.

"Sorry." I said automaticly but before I can go, the person caught my arm.

"Cathy?" I looked up and it's my friend back in Harvard, Collen.

"Hey! Oh my god! It's been so long.." I said and she hugged me. She was my senior back in Harvard and it was so weird to see her here.

"Me too! I missed you.. hey! Can you wait for me outside? I have to pee so bad!" She said and I chuckled nodding. I walked out the toilet and waited for her.

"What are you doing?" Jacob asked.

"I went to the toilet and bumped into my old friend. She asked me wait for a moment." I said and he nodded.

"You already paid for it?" He asked.

"Yeah, I did." I said nodding.

"Catherine! I can't believe I will see you again here.." She said and then her eyes landed on Jacob.

"Uhmm who?" She asked and Jacob put his hand in front of her.

"Jacob William, Catherine's fiance." He introduced yourself and Collen turned to me confuse.

"I thought you.."

"It's a long story, I'll be marrying Jacob in less than 4 weeks. Give me your address so I can send you the invitation!" I said trying to change the subject quickly. I took my phone out and let her type her address.

"Cathy, I thought you're going to end up with Eden." She whispered. I turned to her shaking my head and smiled.

"Who's Eden?" Jacob asked.

"No one." I said to Jacob and Collen gave me an apologetic look.

"Honey, don't you think I have to know about it?" Jacob suddenly asked in a really serious tone.

"I'll tell you later on." I said and Collen completely looked at me sadly. I smiled at her and we hugged once again before I let her go. I turned to Jacob and he looked at me raising my eyebrows. I gestured him to go and I followed him.

We got into the car and he started the car. He turned to me waiting for me to explain.

"What?"

"Don't you need to tell me who is Eden? I have to know so I don't look dumb in front of your friends." He said and I sighed.

"He was my ex-fiance." I said and Jacob looked at me disbelief.

"We went to Harvard together, he was 2 years older than me when I got into Harvard. He was my mentor and we dated for 3 years before he proposed. I think that's enough." I said as I put on my seatbelt.

"So.. what happened to you both?"

"My family hates him, they don't like him a bit. They all wanted me to break up with him. Before I graduate, my grandpa told me to break up with him but I threatened my family that I will run away with him if they don't approve us."

"And then?"

"He left me, out of the blue. I was so heart broken and blamed my family for it.. that's why I ended up in New York." I said and he suddenly patted my head.

"Everything happens for a reason.. you'll understand one day." He said smiling and I pushed his hand away.

"Why do you want to know anyway?"

"You'll never know, I'm your future husband. I should know everything about my future wife."

"Really? Wow.."

"You know everything about me right? Since you were my secretary." He said confidently and I shook my head.

"I have no clue about your private life." I said and he chuckled.

"You'll know soon."