dancing queen | billy hargrove

this imagine contains spoilers for season three. read at your own risk.

songs listened to while writing this imagine:
— dancing queen (1976)

you watched as the mind flayer chased after steve and robin. it was so close to them, you couldn't let them die.

you jumped out of your hiding spot, behind a car, and lifted your hand. you tried your best to direct it's many mouths away from them, but nothing was happening. you concentrated on moving it away, yet there was no movement.

you let out an exasperated sigh. you were drained. your powers weren't working. "shit," you muttered. you were getting extremely worried. the mind flayer couldn't hear you over the music that was playing loudly throughout starcourt.

it was close to them, very close. as you watched them someone shoved you to the ground. you yelled.

billy hovered over you. he held you down as you tried to wiggle out of his grasp. he had a totally different look in his eyes than the ones you were used to looking into. there were black veins all over his face, making him so frightening.

"billy," you muttered through your tears. you were frightened. billy was much stronger than you and the mind flayer really wanted you dead. if billy knew where you were, it was only a matter of seconds before the mind flayer reacted.

billy only stared and continued to hold you down. sweat covered his forehead.

you tried to use your powers to get him off you, but nothing was working. you finally slumped to the ground in defeat and cried. "billy, it's me. this isn't you. please," you slowly reached up to caress his cheek. at first, he moved away, but then he let you touch his sweaty cheeks. however, he quickly furrowed his eyebrows and slammed your hand back to the ground.

the poor boy has gone through so much. you remember when you entered his mind you saw all the bullshit he had to go through because of his asshole of a dad. you also saw a happy memory. you were one of his happy memories.

at that exact moment, dancing queen began to play. it was the song played when the last dance happened in high school. he has watched you from across the room as you watched him. he finally introduced himself and asked you to dance. it was the most fun you've had in a while.

"do you remember when we first met, billy?" you said slowly. scared to anger him. you hear the mind flayer screech. the crew had begun to throw firework bombs to distract or attempt to kill the mind flayer. "we were at the dance. you were watching me and i was watching you, but we had looked at each other many times before. that day, you finally approached me."

billy's grip on your wrists loosened slightly. he was watching you intently.

"you asked me to dance right when this song played. do you remember that, billy? you felt happy right?"

there were tears in his eyes and he nodded his head slightly.

you continued to cry. breathing heavily between each word you said. "so was i, billy. you made me incredibly happy. despite everything, i was happy with you."

he stared at you. he looked so broken yet the memory seemed to calm him. it was unbelievable to see the veins slowly retracting.

"i love you, billy. i'm sorry i haven't said it until now, but i love you."

before he could react in anyway the mind flayer bellowed. the fireworks were coming to an end. billy stood up quickly and faced it.

the mind flayer turned to stare right at billy and you. you were still on your back, so when it's tongue or extra mouth or whatever it was exited his true mouth and came slowly towards you, you had to use your elbows to back away.

it looked ready to strike, but when it did billy grabbed it, "no!" he yelled. it was the first time you had heard him, the real him.

you watched as more mini-mouths came from the mind flayer.

no. no. no. no. your heart was pounding incredibly fast. as the tears ran down your cheeks, you lifted your arm again. you tried your best to concentrate. to hurt the mind flayer, but nothing. you yelled out in frustration and threw your hand back down.

the mouths pierced billy. your eyes widened and you yelled.

"BILLY!" you choked out as you watched him holding the mind flayer regardless of everything. you also heard a outcry nearby, max. you couldn't dare to turn back to look at her.

the final blow left billy on the ground gasping for air. you were on your knees, as you cried. in that exact moment, the mind flayer screeched and began to sizzle. it was no longer focused on any of you. instead, it was going crazy, dying.

max ran to billy and you did as well. both of you were on each side of him. he looked between the two of you. he was choking on his own blood and you couldn't do anything about it.

"billy. billy. billy please get up. billy, please." max shook him, but it was impossible for anything to happen now.

you couldn't bring yourself to say more.

"im sorry," he managed to say before giving a small sigh and stopping any breathing.

"no," you muttered in disbelief. you couldn't believe that he was gone. you had just got him back.

max looked at you as she sobbed. you held your arm out and she leaned into you for comfort. you both cried as you watched a lifeless billy.

"he saved us," you muttered as tears fell down your cheeks.

he saved you and you will never forget it. not only today, but from the moment you had met him he brought happiness into your life. despite what everyone thought of him, he managed to bring out his soft side for you.

you would never forget the boy with the cunning smile yet hopeful eyes.

his character had quickly become one of my most liked in season two (aside from steve). it's crazy that he's dead. however, i'm glad his last moments were redeemable. also, alexei was such a baby. :( i was so sad to see the happiness wiped from his face in a single blow. and jim hopper... he was finally finding happiness again, but i know he's not dead.