The Great Vine Catastrophe

Notes:

I uploaded this chapter on June 5th on AO3 for Pride Month so I just want to post the same message here that I did there. And as far as I'm concerned, every month you should feel proud about who you are: 

HAPPY PRIDE MONTH TO EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU! No matter how you identify, all of you are valid and don't let anyone else tell you different <3 This is a safe space and I'm so proud of you all!!❤🧡💛💚💙💜

---

The next morning, Peter is ready to put his plan of revenge into motion. Well, he was ready until he walks out of his room to see both Tony and Rhodey standing near the bar. Tony quickly notices Peter's entrance and nods him over.

"Mornin', kid," Tony greets followed by a sip of his coffee. Rhodey looks over his shoulder to find Peter and smiles.

"Look who's finally awake. Tony was starting to get antsy." He smirks at Tony, who rolls his eyes. Peter shyly approaches the two with a forced smile. Play it cool, Parker. You've already met Colonel Rhodes. Once.

"I don't get antsy," Tony simply counters before turning his attention back to Peter. "There's eggs in the microwave," he informs nonchalantly. He made me breakfast? I guess he's going all in on that "making it up to me" thing.

"Um, thank you, Mr. Stark. Morning, Colonel Rhodes." Peter smiles to both of them before walking into the kitchen.

"Rhodey," Rhodey corrects,

"Sorry, it just feels disrespectful to not call you by your rank." Tony turns to Peter with narrowed eyes.

"Then why do you have such a problem calling me and Pep by our first names?" Tony raises an eyebrow. Peter knows why; because they're his idols and he has looked up to them his whole life. Of course, that's not what he says.

"Because May raised me with manners, Mr. Stark."

"Flattery will get you absolutely nowhere, kid," Tony opposes.

"You know that's not true," Rhodey laughs. "Anyone feeds you enough compliments and they have you wrapped around their finger." He crosses his arms smugly, giving Tony a knowing look.

"I don't feel very supported right now. In fact, I'm feeling attacked. This isn't a safe work environment. I'm calling HR," Tony defends before taking another sip. "Come sit down," he invites as Peter pulls the bowl of eggs out of the microwave. Peter does as Tony says and sits down at the bar.

"Hate to break it to you, Tones," Rhodey continues, "but your ego is your downfall. It's one thing to be confident, it's another to be overconfident." Tony scoffs and waves him off dismissively.

"I'm humble!" he counters. Rhodey raises a challenging eyebrow. "Fine, but it's not my fault I know how great I am. I gotta make sure everyone else does too, which I've done an amazing job at, if I do say so myself."

"You're unbelievable." Rhodey shakes his head with a slight smile.

"Yeah, I hear that a lot." Tony smirks. He couldn't sound more pompous and self-absorbed if he tried. "I bet you're on my side, huh Pete?" Peter glances up at Tony from his eggs and gives him an innocent look.

"Sorry, Mr. Stark. You're the most egocentric person I know." Peter takes another bite of his eggs as if he didn't say anything. Tony is also the most selfless person Peter knows, but he doesn't need to know that. Rhodey barks out a laugh.

"Man, I like him," he admits between laughs.

"Et tu, Peter? And to think I made you breakfast!" Tony feigns shock and puts down his mug indignantly.