CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER THREE: WELCOME BACK,
DUSTIN!

      THE NEXT MORNING, CASSIE woke up fairly early to the loud ring of her telephone

THE NEXT MORNING, CASSIE woke up fairly early to the loud ring of her telephone. Slowly and reluctantly, she uncovered her face and blinked, adjusting to the streaks of sunlight that blinded her. Groaning, the girl rubbed her eyelids and scooted over to the edge of her bed, reaching over and picking up the phone.

"Hellooo?" The girl spoke groggily.

There was laughter from the other side, followed by numerous voices. One stuck out, though, when speaking to her, "Cassie, did I just wake you up?"

"Dude, it's eight!" Cassie whined, running her hand slowly though her tangled hair. "What do you want? And who is that in the background?"

"You really forgot didn't you?" Mike continued with a chuckle.

"Forgot...?"

"You know, the surprise party we planned...for Dustin...because he's getting back from camp today..."

Cassie jumped up, "Oh, shit!"

From the other side of the phone line, Mike laughed, "It's okay, he isn't expected for another fifteen minutes. You want me to come get you?"

"No, no, it's fine." Cassie replied, throwing off the covers and rising to a standing position. "I'll be there in ten."

"Alright, see you then."

Hanging up the phone, the brunette raced towards her closet, nearly tripping over her own two feet while she flipped through the hangers. Quickly throwing on an oversized t-shirt and a pair of light wash jeans, Cassie then ran to the bathroom to simultaniously brush her hair and teeth as fast as she could.

"Where are you off to so early?" Steve questioned her as she made her way down the hallway.

"Surprise party for Dustin," Cassie answered, stopping just above the stairs. "You wanna come? He'd sure be happy to see you."

"Can't, I have work." Steve groaned, looking down at his watch. "I have a little time before my shift starts, though. Want me to give you a ride?"

"Nah, I'll just bike there." Cassie shrugged. "Thanks, though."

"Okay." Steve answered as Cassie began to descend down the stairs. But, before she was out of sight, Steve shouted after her, "Hey, Cass, do me a favor!  When you see Henderson, make sure you tell him to stop by Scoops when he can!"

"Will do! See ya later!" Cassie shouted before swinging open the front door and disappearing from his sight.

───────────────

"Alright, does everyone know the plan?" Lucas announced to the group of five standing before him in Dustin's living room.

"Yes, Lucas." They chorused in unison.