¶Thirteen

Dedicated to Okutepacharity (for helping me get over my writer's block). You guys should really go check her book out.

The fact that Ejiro and Amira had officially become a thing kept replaying in my head from the moment I left him on Friday to this very moment, but I knew I couldn't let it bother me right now, not on my first date anyway. After he had told me about him and Amira, I had rushed off to find a secluded place to cry and I bumped into Senior Muyiwa.
"Hey Irene, how are you?" he asked, smiling down at me. I blinked back the tears threatening to spill out and smiled widely at him. "I'm good oh, I've been looking for you actually," I lied. Muyiwa's smile turned into a subtle blush. "Um...before we get into your answer, are you okay? Your eyes look red," he said, looking genuinely worried.
I simply nodded. "Are you sure?" he persisted, touching my arm with his hand. I felt a tiny spark. "I'm just allergic to the um...air freshener they used in this hall," I said and sniffed loudly to aid my lie. "Sorry, shouldn't we leave here then?" he asked. I shook my head, "I'm already very late but I just wanted to tell you that I'd love to go out with you," I said. His eyes brightened, "Swear?"
"I actually expected you to say no, but I swear I'm happy," he said, scratching his head a little. I noticed that he had grown his hair out more.
"I'll text you when I get home," he said.
"But you don't even have my number," I told him. He simply smirked at me, "I have my ways, I'll let you go home now, I'll see you on our date," he said and planted a small kiss on my forehead before leaving. And for a small moment I actually forgot Ejiro and I felt a bit warm that someone was actually interested in me.

"You look like a banana," said Isaac's voice behind me, interrupting my thoughts. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and saw my stupid older brother reflected behind me. I made a face at him through the mirror and he laughed. I adjusted the yellow bandana I wore on my hair and used my comb to fluff out my afro. I was wearing a yellow off shoulder with a jean skirt and a pair of sneakers I stole from Isaac's little collection. Thank God we had the same foot size.
"And you look like a watermelon," I replied drily. Isaac just grinned at me.
"Oya confess, you're going out with that boy you kissed in school bah?" he asked wiggling his eyebrows at me.
I wish, I thought to myself, but apparently Amira is more his type.
"No I'm not, I'm going to meet one of my girl friends at Silver bird that's all," I said and smiled at him. Isaac just started laughing.
"I wasn't born today Adaeze, so just know that I know that you're going to meet up with a boy despite what you want mom to believe," he said with a smirk. I frowned at him and the olodo winked at me. "I'm tired of you," I said with a sigh. I didn't have the energy to argue with him. Not today.
Isaac looked at me and I stared back at him.
"I don't care about you oh, but I hope you're okay sha," he said and then the left the room.
I smiled at that and told myself that I was okay.

***

Muyiwa had told me told me that we'd meet up at Senters, a popular hangout spot where people came to play arcade games and eat food.
I found a table in the food court and sat down to wait for him.
He said he'd be there by twelve and I was fifteen minutes early.
I quietly observed the various people who were there and after a while I got tired and decided to play games on my phone.
Thirty minutes passed and Muyiwa had not yet arrived. I pulled up his number on my phone and dialled him, annoyed that he was running late on a date he had asked for.

On the third ring, he picked up, "Hello? Who's this?" he asked. I almost laughed at that. So he had just texted me the date details without even saving my number. Wow.
"It's Irene, where are you?" I asked trying to control my anger.
He cursed.
"Irene hey, look sorry I forgot... I mean, something came up," he said.
"Something came up? So this something doesn't have a name abi?" I asked.
"Guy, it's not like that, I..." he started to say but I cut him off.
"Firstly, Muyiwa I'm not your "guy", secondly if it was easy for you to forget you asked me out literally just yesterday without even bothering to tell me you couldn't make it, then it should also be easy for you to remember to not even dare speak to me after today," I spat angrily and ended the call.
Just imagine. The idiot had the nerve to even....
"Who was that on the phone?" a very familiar voice asked.
I looked up and saw Damien aka Pervert smiling down at me.
I immediately got annoyed. Someone that has been ignoring me since now he's smiling at me.
"Nobody that concerns you," I said. At that exact moment, my phone vibrated on the table and Damien and I looked down to see the name "Muyiwa" with heart eyes next to it, flashing on my screen.
Damien laughed. "You even saved his name with heart eyes? Of all people, Muyiwa. I thought it was that Ejiro guy you like?" he asked, grinning.

It is that Ejiro guy I like you idiot. "Just shut up Damien, go away abeg," I said, vexed.

My phone rang again and I cut the call, switched off my phone and shoved it into my purse.
Damien's smile left his lips.
"So he stood you up?" he asked, his tone different now.
My nose flared in anger and embarrassment. "It doesn't matter, I'm going home now," I said, standing up to leave.
Damien dragged my hand.
"Stay and play some games with me," he said.
I tried pulling my hand away.
"No, why should I?" I asked, frustrated.
His lips quirked up into a smirk.
"Wait o, Daeze are you scared of losing? Just say you don't know how to play and I'll let you go home,".
"Shabi I told you before not to call me Daeze?"
"And I'm sure you already know that's what I'll always call you, so Daeze admit you can't play that's why you're going," he said.

I eyed him and hissed.

" I have an older brother, trust me when I say I know how to play any game," I stated.
Damien released my hand and smiled at me a bit and I couldn't believe that he was the same person who had been ignoring me for weeks now since we fought in Geography.
"Then stay and play with me," he said.
So, just to prove that I could beat him at any game we decided to play, I stayed.

Hey guyssss
I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
What did you think??? Was it good? Let me know what you think about Adaeze and Damien lol. Should they become a thing or not?

ALSO THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR GETTING MY BABY TO 5K+ reads that's so amazing.

Don't forget to Like, Comment and Share.